Shortly after attaining tenure, a blogging colleague asked if I would drop the anonymity of this blog. I’d been thinking about that topic already and concluded that I’m not ready to do so at this present time. Here are some reasons why I've decided not to do so...
First, I would like to continue to use this blog as a sounding board for my involvement in church ministry. I’ve not found many other blogs where intentional interim ministry is as much a topic as it is here. Bowden closed down the late great blog Interregnum (for reasons he explains here), which was one of the only other blogs taking up this issue from time to time. Susan Song or Lakeview would probably be fine with about 98% of what I’ve posted about my experiences with them, but if this blog operated under my name, I think I’d be more self-selective than I would like to be.
Workwise, I want to be able to post some stories or observations about teaching at a higher education institution. I don’t think I’ve betrayed any confidentiality, but some post participants (like here, here, or here) might not want the notoriety. (And most would recognize themselves). Since I do blog about a lot of personal conversations, I don’t want others to wonder if what they will say might end up on a blog post somewhere.
Third, safety is an issue. I take some warnings seriously about posting pictures and sharing personal information on the net with three kiddoes in the house. I like to share what they are going through and their perspectives on life, but I want to do so safely.
Lastly, this blog initially started out as a way to keep up with friends and family. And to them, this blog isn’t anonymous.
But this decision does come with some costs.
I don’t actively engage myself in SBC discussions in the blog world because I agree that it’s a bit weasely to put your thoughts out there while remaining anonymous.
I’m probably cutting myself off from some great relationships. I read blogs by folks like Dave, Benjamin, or Kevin, and think “I’d like to get to know these guys better.” Part of the intimacy of their blogs is because I know their names, where they live, and what they do. If they were anonymous, I don’t think I would have had the same level of appreciation.
But overall, I think that it is the right decision…for now, anyway.
3 comments:
I appreciate and respect your decision. But when we finally meet, I'll probably forget to call you by your name and refer to you as "Taran"; that should confuse your kids!
You've got to do what is best for you my friend. Sometimes using your name has a price.
Bowden,
I look forward to that day!
Kevin,
I know you've caught some blog related abuse. I appreciate the support.
Post a Comment