Tuesday, June 05, 2007

A Check in His Spirit

Our church is still attempting to determine the best course of action in response to our pastor’s recent resignation at our home church. On Sunday evening I met with the Chairmen of deacons, finance committee and personal committee. For a couple of hours I shared the Intentional Interim Ministry (IIM) process with them and explained how it would be a beneficial process for Lakeview Baptist.

Following the presentation I took questions. My biggest concern going into the discussion was with our stewardship chairman. He’s a godly man and one who has earned the respect of the congregation and of myself. He has been very close to our pastor and served as chairman of the search committee that brought him here thirteen years ago. He is, in short, someone whose buy-in is integral to the IIM process being accepted at Lakeview.

But he is old school. And the IIM process is new in these parts. So when I finished he sat quietly for a minute and then said "Taran, I have a check in my spirit." By which he meant (I determined from context clues) that he had a bad feeling about the IIM and that this bad feeling was of divine origin.

As our discussion continued, the gist of his concern was that he feels the process to be too mechanical, and not spiritual enough. He felt that I did not emphasize the signifiance of the Holy Spirit in the prcess. It is true that I didn’t spend a great deal of time in the presentation talking about how prayer/fasting/discernment, etc. accompanies the process…I simply assumed that part.

The other two leaders were more open to the process and all three agreed that I should share it with the deacons and then, if they agree, with the church. I should meet with the deacons next week.

But for someone as passionate about the IIM as I am, it was a bit disheartening.

No comments: