So why go through ordination now?
There are a few primary reasons.
First is that I feel a close relationship with our departing pastor. Although we theologically bear scant resemblance to one another, he and I have gotten along well over the last six years. I have supported him in the church and he has allowed me tremendous latitude in leadership and teaching roles. For example, he asked me to teach through 1 and 2 Timothy in a January bible study a few years ago when we disagree on the subjects of alcohol and female deacons. And as I have noted in the past, we've had our share of private confrontations.
The most amazing thing to me is that although he grew up a dirt poor boy from Arkansas, he has led our church (prior to my arrival) through a very difficult period of integration. It is the most integrated church to which I’ve ever belonged (though we still have a long way to go). He has modeled love and reconciliation and I consider it an honor for him to preside over my ordination.
A second reason is that I love this church and would like to have them be the ones who participate in this service with me. My kids came to faith in Christ at this church and Kadie and I have been blessed with places of service. Good people serve at this church. On those occasions when I do leaqve to serve in other churches, I want our family to have many connections to this church.
A third reason is the intentional interim ministry. As I’ve written extensively, it is a solid process for engaging the church in important elements of change. I now feel completely assured that this is what God has called me to do. Having a distinctive calling gives me something specific to be called to.
As to my previous objections?
I still don’t think I need to be ordained. But as I told Brother Jones last year and as I told "my former self" a few weeks ago: it’s not always about me. The church needs times of celebration and times of ritual. The church will take pride in my calling and will continue to serve as a support to me through prayer and encouragement. Wherever I go and serve, in some sense they will be participants in that service. In fact, B makes this point in his comment on Friday's post.
Lastly, I don’t think my distinction between clergy/laity will be too much affected by ordination. I say this because I will continue to be bivocational. Bivocational ministers might have an easier time than full time ministers explaining to the congregation that ministry is not something we pay other people to do.
But in the end, I do feel it is calling of God. It is kairos, God’s timing.
Now if I can just get through the candidacy interview without mentioning my affection for either Seinfeld or Letterman, I’ll be alright…
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I would love to sit in on your ordination council. Do you think they would fly me down from VA? My brother was the pastor of the church that ordained me. It was a great interview process...he threatened them with great bodily harm if they tried anything too tricky with me! Glad you have a good relationship with the pastor. It will mean a lot. More serious note...at the conclusion of my ordination service, they invited those who were in the service to sign my ordination papers. Many of my family members signed that and two very special people are now gone. My parents' names on that paper mean a great deal to me now. Blessings to you.
DD
DD,
I wish you could've been there! I love what the congregation did for you. What an encouraging gift. Was this the same congregation where you delivered your "awesome" sermon??
Yes...it was! Five years or so removed as well. One might think that they would have forgotten the sermon. However, during the charge from the laity, the lady mentioned several times, "what an awesome time," we had experienced during the summer of.... The chuckles in the congregation were quite evident that they had not forgotten. Still hurts.
DD
Post a Comment