Wednesday, June 06, 2007

The Bad News Miscreants (II)


The Miscreants played another two-fer on Friday evening, and given the fact that I am just now posting the results, you can probably anticipate how things turned out. We went 0-2 again, driving our season record to 0-4.

In game one we surged to a 10-0 lead in the first inning and then ended up losing a nail biter 14-12. That was a hard loss.

We were never in the second game and were pummelled 30 to 14. (Our new rallying cry is "Only two touchdowns and a field goal short!")

I rebounded from my previous poor defensive effort and committed no errors in the first game at second base (although let the record indicate that I also had no chances at second either).

I presented a scorer's challenge in the second game since they moved me to left field. I have the fielding range of a narcoleptic amoeba, so I couldn't get to many hits. I did catch three pop-ups, not an unremarkable feat for me.



Life at the plate was better. I went 3 for 7 with a walk. All three hits were weak bloops over the second baseman that settled into the short outfield area with the force of an arthritic man gently nestling down into a large recliner.

The highlight of my offensive output was the walk. The ump had a fixed strike zone that would've been more appropriate for Herve Villechaize than any of the 5 foot nine behemoths our team fields. Taking note of that fact, I elected not to swing until I was down two strikes and ended up walking on a 3-1 pitch.

Sadly, that was the high point of my afternoon.

Injury report--- I stupidly dove to first base trying to beat a mishandled throw and banged my left knee with sufficient force to generate a sizable bruise. Adding insult to injury I was still out. (Due to toughening MPAA standards, I will spare the gentle reader another picture of a purple-hued injury.)

After sprawling toward first, I was reminded of my age by the fact that my teammates gathered around my crumpled form and said "Way to Hustle Taran!!" "Great try!"

"Are you OK?"

No comments: