Monday, June 11, 2007

Kairos (III)

I was sweating bullets in my grey suit, and not just because of the questions. The A/C unit had gone out and I was sitting surrounded by a dozen men, each one plumbing the depths of my heresy.

Sunday evening I met with our ordination council. Our pastor, youth/education minister and ten deacons were arrayed against me. Also going through the process was my good friend Larry, to my left. He and his wife have become some of our closest friends at Lakeview and I’m glad that we went through the ordination process (he as deacon, myself as minister).

After prayer, the questioning started. Here were the questions they asked:

  • Share with us your testimony.
  • What is your view of the Bible?
  • Would your children say that you are a godly Dad?
    (My initial answer was "It depends on which day you ask them.)
  • Can you worship with people who behave ugly towards you?
  • Do you believe in the virgin birth?
  • What is the gospel?
So the questions were straightforward and no attempts were made to paint us into a corner or any other horror stories you hear about in these ordination meetings from time to time.

The only regret I had was that they made the decision (due to Sunday evening being the last Sunday of our pastor’s ministry here) not to do the laying on of hands during the service. We were told that they would pray for us before the congregation arrived in order to "expedite the service." The congregation did not participate. I did feel bad for my folks and Larry’s folks (and sisters) who all drove in to share in this time for us.

But all in all it was a very encouraging time. (And no, neither Letterman nor Seinfeld came up).

1 comment:

Dave Samples said...

Congratulations, Taran! I was also one of those who did not see the necessity or even the biblical basis for what we call "ordination". Nevertheless, I eventually, as you have, gave in and realized the wisdom in gaining the approval of men....wait, I mean...the approval of God through godly men.