Sunday, August 06, 2006

Fifteen Years and Susan Song

This has been an eventful week. Kadie and I celebrated our 15th Anniversary by driving a ways to Dallas where we stayed an inexpensive, luxurious hotel (thanks, Priceline) and gorged ourselves at the (cheesily named) Texas de Brazil. It is a wonderful churrascaria, which is roughly a Brazilian all-you-can-eat meal where they bring the meat to you. We consumed prime rib, sirloin steak, lamb, ribeye, etc. It was a wonderful meal (and expensive…sheesh, I think we might be able to afford it again when we celebrate our 30th!).

While there we caught two movies, Woody Allen’s new comedy Scoop and M. Night Shyamalan’s Lady in the Water. We enjoyed them both and I think I discerned an idea in Shamylan’s work that might make a nice paper presentation.

After we returned, Susan Song called me and asked me to serve as their interim pastor. I deferred their request and instead planned a meeting with the search committee. We will sit down this Wednesday where I will present them with the intentional interim process and request that they go through with it.

I also informed them that they would have to wait until we complete the intentional interim process before they could begin to search for a new pastor. Their chairwoman said that they have seven resumes but they had already decided to wait before calling another pastor. So I think that the search committee will vote to proceed with the intentional interim and I will present it to the entire church on Sunday. Please keep this process in your prayers.

There were more musical mishaps this morning, but I’ll save that for tomorrow ;)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the 15th! We celebrated our 17th last month. Did you like Lady in the Water? I have enjoyed his work, but the reviews on this film were terrible. Movie to recommend for you, Paperclips. You can grab it on Netflix.

Taran said...

David,

I did like LITW, but with one caveat: it is a bedtime story and should be viewed accordingly.

I saw the trailer for Paperclips http://www.paperclipsmovie.com/trailer.php

It looks like a powerfull film!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on 15 years!

I saw LITW and liked it very much. It was a thought-provoking and beautiful film.

M. Night is a genius at telling a suspenseful tale with a bare minimum of special effects and Dallas Bryce Howard was hauntingly beautiful, just as a sea nymph should be.