
Intentional Interim update:
I have now preached twice at Susan Song Baptist church. (Obviously not the real name, but very similar to the real name). I think the church is named after the street where it is located, but it still the first Baptist Church I have ever preached in with a woman’s name.
The first time there were around a dozen present, this time they had over twenty in attendance. As I’ve mentioned, they are still in shock over the departure of their pastor but they are committed to moving forward. They are a very, very sweet community of faith.
The music is simple and sincere and typical of a rural church. The sanctuary is filled with wooden pews while a familiar picture of Jesus hangs on the wall. (Yes, that one). They sing out of a shape note hymnbook and are accompanied by a piano, guitar (played sideways on the lap), a harmonica and an autoharp (pictured at left). All hymns must be transposed to the key of either C or G. Songs from this last Sunday morning included “Come to the Church in the Wildwood” and “Bound for the Promised Land.” Conversation before the service covered cotton and corn prices, as well as our current drought.
There is a cultural gap for me (I have always been a city boy), but I gain much from it. I need to work at translating my academic-influenced reading of the Bible into something of value for them. Teaching and preaching in a rural setting helps to ground me in pastoral relevance. I should know in a couple of weeks if they want me as interim or simply as supply.
1 comment:
Taran,
A Church in the Wildwood and that particular song book remind me of "precious memories" of attending revival services as a 5 to 8 year old in my rural community. We tried to sing in the key of C mostly. What an idealistic time...
no wars, no threats, just wondering when we'd get home for watermelon! We attended every revival in the community, no matter the denomination...support of the community...and social of course.
Love,
MOM
Post a Comment