Friday, August 11, 2006

Developmental Task #5

The final developmental task is aimed at preparing the church for new pastoral leadership. Here the Intentional Interim (II) helps the church to answer one essential question: How can we effectively minister to our pastor?

Many in congregations today are ignorant of what it means to pastor a church. The unique elements of a pastor's life like the bizarre tax codes, the importance of continuing education, and the stress of the pastor's family living a life in the fishbowl of congregational eyes fly under the radar of all but the most sensitive church memebers.

Pastors learn to smile at the "joke" they've heard for years: "So, preacher, what exactly do you do the rest of the week?"

Ideally, the II could lead the church to transform the Pastor Search Committee into a Pastor Support Committee that devises ways to encourage the pastor in the ministry to which God has called him.

I have already written about the difficulties of life for the pastor's wife. This final stage of the II ministry could effectively help the church not to consider the pastor's wife as a bonus "two-for-one" deal that comes with the pastor. Any contribution the pastor's wife makes to the life and fellowship of the church should be appreciated, but not expected.

In addition, here are some things that I would like congregations to consider:

1. Providing sabbaticals for the pastor.

2. A yearly evaluation as a way of providing feedback to the pastor.

3. A support group that would encourage the pastor and provide counsel in certain situations.

4. Making sure that the pastor has adequate time for vacation around important days (his anniversary, his wife’s birthday, kid’s graduations etc.). Related to this is an effort on the part of the church to make sure that the pastor has time off during the week to be with his family.

5. Provide the means for the pastor to attend conferences and conventions that allow him to learn and to fellowship with other ministers.

6. Annually evaluating the pastor’s compensation package and making sure that it reflects a fair wage for the pastor.

I have seen a few examples of a genuine love affair between a pastor and church. It is an amazing thing to observe a relationship where this affection allows incredible things to be accomplished for God's glory.

Please feel free to add to the list, or email me and I will post additional suggestions. I know that two churches at least have linked to Coffeespoons, and I would love to hear from some church members on this topic.

(And neither pastor knew that I’d be posting this!!!!)

No comments: