Conversation between Taran and Kadie after Scooter got back from Pre-Teen camp in the Summer of 2005:
T: “You know Kadie, Scooter just got back from camp and she went with that boy she’s been spending a lot of time with at church.”
K: “Yes. His name is Jacob”
T: “Right...Jacob. Umm well, I was wondering if they, you know, kissed while at camp?”
K: “What are you talking about? Why do you think that she kissed someone? Did you kiss someone when you were in youth camp?”
T: “Well, that’s really not the point. My question is ‘Do you think that Scooter kissed Jacob at camp? I mean, she’s only ten.”
K: “I don’t know, but why are you asking me? I wasn’t at camp. You should be asking Scooter.”
Silence….processing……processing…..processing
T: “Well maybe I will.”
Several hours later, Scooter and I are sitting on the floor of the living room, having wrapped up some cleaning. I seize the moment.
T: “Ummm…look, Scooter, I wanted to….”
S: “What’s the matter, Daddy? Is everything alright?”
T: “Oh nothing, nothing, I mean yes, everything’s fine. It’s just…” I stammer.
S: “Dad, Did I do something wrong? You look serious.”
T: Oh no, nothing wrong, or…well….you went to camp with your – uhhhh with Jacob and I was wondering…”
S: “What Daddy?”
T: “Well, I was wondering….Scooter, I was wondering if… if…you’ve ever kissed a boy?”
Silence….my heart pounds…..I am waiting for the dreaded answer.
As I finish my question, for just a second she looks confused. Then she giggles as she leans forward. And as she leans forward she kisses my nose and says “Only YOU Daddy!” and she stands up, laughs, and skips away.
Taking my heart with her.
I was too chicken to ask her again after this year’s camp.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Undoubtedly. But I am blissful in my ignorance.
Post a Comment