Friday, July 14, 2006

On Shrimpy (R.I.P) and Bad Surprises

Many thanks to those who chimed in and offered creative (and surprisingly theological) suggestions for cushioning Scooter from the blow of Shrimpy’s demise. I was pleased to discover that I am the first (and surprisingly, only) person in the history of the internet to use the phrase “regenerate tadpole.” In the end, we elected to expose Scooter to the harsh realities of this present age and informed her of Shrimpy’s passing.

Here is how Scooter found out:

The Scene:

The family is driving home from the church after picking Scooter up from pre-teen camp. Kadie is driving (Taran is at work). Squealer (age 3) is “singing” the music for Sesame Street at the top of his lungs, oblivious to the drama about to unfold. Kadie turns the music up to try to cover up Squealer’s (increasingly loud) voice. The girls sit on either side of Squealer.

Skeeter (age 7): “Scooter, when we get home I have a surprise for you…”

Scooter (age 10): “Oh good! I love surprises”

Skeeter: “Well, it’s a bad surprise”

Scooter: “A bad surprise?"

Skeeter: "A very bad surprise."

Scooter, noting Skeeter's expression, "Oh no! What is it? Are Trixie, Boots (our puppies) and Shrimpy still alive?”

Silence…silence…

Mom's voice from the front seat: “Well, … Boots and Trixie are.”

Followed by much wailing and weeping. All the while Squealer is warbling the Sesame Street theme song at 400 decibels.

Now fast-forward ahead in time some, thirty years:

The Scene:

A doctor’s office. A worried patient is awaiting the results of his lab work. The doctor walks in.

Dr. Skeeter (37): “Mr. Jones, I have a surprise for you…”

No comments: