Saturday, July 01, 2006

A Few Last Memories from Central Texas


A few weeks ago I promised a few more pictures from Hwy 31. First I found this picture from Leroy, Texas fascinating. Apparently in Leroy, the Methodists and Baptists share a building. I don't know anything else about it, but I like it. I mean, its not as ecumenical as allowing your church to be used for bar Mitzvahs, but it is still pretty neat. I wondered if the used the "Artic Edge"? (Full disclosure: Leroy is not actually on Highway 31, but rather on a side road where we I got lost.)

Elvis loved his fried peanut butter and banana sandwiches, Oprah loves sweet potato pie, while Bowden loves doughnuts. But the Taran clan lives for Braum's. There are two Braum's on Highway 31, one in Athens and one in Corsicana. If we time our trip just right we can hit them both.

This unholy addiction is abetted by the fact that there is not a Braum's within an hour and a half of our home, so we must stop when we can. A number one combo and a Limeade make the trip that much sweeter. Then hit the other Braum's for ice cream dessert. MMMMmmmmm...

(Please note the Las Vegas feel of the Athens Braum's at night. That place is hopping--------------------------->)

4 comments:

Kevin Bussey said...

Braum's! Oh how I miss that place. There is not much about DFW I miss, but Braum's is one!

Dave Samples said...

I see you're still razzing me about the "alledged bar mitzvah" at my church. I wasn't even in town that week...

Anonymous said...

You do know Braum's is headquartered in OK, don't you? Just move a little further north... at least two Braum's in every town!

Taran said...

Kevin,

Kadie and I enjoyed our stay in Ft. Worth. Many an evening at seminary was spent at the dollar movie theater and CiCi's Pizza followed by ping-pong at the RAC. That was the cheapest date in town.

Dave,

Part of the fun of running an anonymous blog is razzing with little fear of reprisal. I love the way you had your picture taken in front of the Broadman Bible Commentary set. Very cool!

Bowden,

So the Red River is like the Jordan and Oklahoma is the land flowing with Limeades and Chocolate Almond ice cream?