That was Fun!
On Friday evening, an event I have been planning for the last ten months occurred. We celebrated Kadie’s upcoming birthday with a huge party. Since it is such an important milestone (her new age rhymes with “sporty”) I wanted to do something special.
I decided to fly in one of her closest friends (Linda, mentioned here) from the east coast to surprise her. And things grew from there. I knew our Sunday School class would come, as well as just a few others from our home church. In addition, old college friends from the West coast as well as from the great Mid-West all made their way, like salmon returning home to spawn, back to the Deep South.
Mom and Dad hosted the shindig at their Bed and Breakfast. They also graciously fed everyone. (As Scooter said later “Grandmother and Grandaddy throw the most wonderful parties”). 35 adults and 15 kids attended, so I paid a couple of teens from church to make the drive out to the B&B and watch the kids so the adults could actually talk.
After a series of lies (more on those tomorrow) I got Kadie out to my parents for the surprise. It went according to Hoyle. She was stunned and amazed. Actually she seemed to be in shock for most of the evening. (It helps tremendously that her birthday is actuallytwo weeks from now, she never saw this coming!).
Finally I had made plans for six of her closest friends to spend the night there with her and go shopping the next day in the town square. After the party, I brought the kids back home and stayed up far too late talking to Mister Ginger and Bobby. In fact, the last time I Was up this late I had a paper due the next day.
I think the greatest part of the gift wasn’t the actual party, but the tremendous outflowing of love she felt from all who attended. It was a special, special event.
Kadie told me that it will be something she remembers for the rest of her life…
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Taran,
Had no idea you married an 'older' woman...you devil! Congrats on having and pulling off a great party to celebrate. Sounds like it was a hoot. What is the latest on Susan Song?
DD
The party was great! You had wonderful guests. The best thing is that you chose a wonderful bride....
M
M,
Absolutely!
David,
I've given them a deadline and they are moving along with the search for a new pastor.
Hmmm, phones must not work in your state. Congrats on the great pull off of the party. I hear the cook(s) were great. :)
B
There's no link to your parent's B&B! Do they not have a web site? Perhaps they have too much business already.
Or maybe you have a policy against pimping Mom and Dad's business?
Come on... share. I may want to take the Blonde and get away sometime.
B,
A major oversight. Sorry for not inviting your clan. The cooks were amazing. Apparently my cooking gene is recessive.
Bowden,
I'll email it to you (and to anyone else who wants it). They prefer not to be associated with the proprietor of this blog.
Hi --
Ran across your blog when searching for special event info. Sounds like a wonderful party, and flying in the friend is a nice touch. Congratulations!
Ed
Post a Comment