Wednesday, April 25, 2007

The Suds Pit

Friday night our college had its annual College Social. You haven’t partied hard until you’ve spent a few hours with a bunch of Liberal Arts profs. Unfortunately I had to handle child care issues.

Kadie teaches a Senior High School Girl’s Sunday School class and was going to go out to Dallas on a shopping trip with them. Unfortunately, that meant each of our standard baby-sitters were going to be out too. So I checked with my parents, our other SS friends...and completely struck out. But I had to go to the social.

So I locked the kids in a closet my office with a DVD (Herbie: Fully Loaded) and my cell phone number. I instructed Scooter to call me in the event of an emergency. I then walked across campus and went to the social.

Two hours later I walked back to the office and passed a large foam pit that the Student Activities folks were setting up. It was essentially a large inflatable pit that was filled with soap foam, much like what is generated when you wash dishes in the sink. Loud pulsating music and a light show accompany the festivities.

There were only about 8 college students in the foam pit, so I hustled back to my office to grab the kids. And I opened my door to chaos. Apparently Squealer had been channeling Legion because the girls were desperate to get out. Skeeter had been begging Scooter to call me on the phone, but Scooter had decided that Squealer's obnoxiousness had not yet risen to the level of an emergency.

(Only at this moment did it occur to me that locking two children in a room with a four year old and a Lindsay Lohan movie might violate several articles of the Geneva Convention)

At any rate I took them down to the foam pit and watched them play for about 2 hours. The foam actually exceeded Squealer's height. Our campus PR person was taking pictures and I encouraged her to take a few pictures of the kids. I've included one below. (I have no idea who the student on the right is and what is growing out of her head). A grand time was had by all. On the way home Scooter had starry eyes and said "Daddy, I've just been to my first college party."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This suds pit looks fun! I saw something like this before on an episode of CSI, and it didn't look fun at all... :o)

Ashley
http://ch4pt3rfour.livejournal.com

Kevin Bussey said...

That looks like fun.