We had a busy and chilly Easter weekend. On Saturday morning the kids went Easter egg hunting (amid snow flurries) at our home church. Squealer remarked at one point that it felt like Halloween (a feeling encouraged, no doubt, by our decision to recycle his frog basket from Halloween into an “Easter” basket).
The first thing we do on Easter morning is hold a lengthy Easter egg scavenger hunt for the kids. Kadie and I compose a series of clues which direct the kids throughout the house. They then get to read each clue and figure out where the next egg is located.
After finding all the eggs, and their three Easter baskets (hidden in the dryer) we had breakfast at our home church before I went out to Susan Song. Squealer had the line of the morning after he received his first punishment of the day. (I like to think that he was getting his time-out right about the same time Mary Magdalane would’ve been arriving at the empty tomb).
After his time-out (for throwing his Easter breakfast across the gym at church) I told him that he was being disobedient. I explained to him the importance of being obedient to his Dad. He responded (I kid you not) “Daddy, I like to be obedient, but I don’t want to be obedient.” A great line, which I promptly stole for my sermon at Susan Song.
At Susan Song we had over twice our normal attendance, filling the pews at 32 people (I told them we were going to have to go to two services next Sunday). I preached the Philippian Christ Hymn in 2:5-11. Following the sermon we held the Lord’s Supper. I read Psalm 22 (then we shared the bread) then Psalm 23 (then we shared the juice) followed by Psalm 24. We then placed red and white carnations on a cross and it was beautiful.
This afternoon we celebrated the Easter tradition by dining on roast and eating scads of chocolate candy. In the evening, we watched the wonderful film The Miracle Maker (see trailer here). It is to my mind, without a doubt, the best adaptation of the life of Christ to film. It also happens to be claymation. Squealer, finding the life of our blessed Lord a bit slow, instead watched the theologically more subtle Madagascar.
All in all, a wonderful Easter weekend.
Sunday, April 08, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Sounds like a fun day! We, on the other hand, coaxed the boys out of bed to check out their Easter baskets, eat a quick bite of breakfast, hurriedly dress for church (amid complaints that they were too tired), and still arrive to church late. The rest of the day was completely lazy.
I can't believe I forgot to let you know about Billy's blog - http://semeron.blogspot.com.
Have a great week!
Ashley
http://ch4pt3rfour.livejournal.com
Taran,
Praise God for His blessing! Sounds like you have a great day at Susan Song.
My boys have gotten old enough that we now wait the usual 7-14 days for the Easter candy at Walgreen's to be discounted 75%. I still offer to hide it if they like but they usually just want to dig in...
Post a Comment