Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Is Oklahoma more than OK?


Something has recently come to my attention. I got started along this little blogging adventure last winter when I Googled “intentional interim” and "blog" and received numerous results. Among other web pages, it turned up Bowden McElroy’s site. He has worked as an intentional interim and founded his site as a way of keeping in touch with the church where he served. (Although now he writes about contemporary controversies like Olympic snowboarding). He lives in Oklahoma.

From Bowden's blog, I started to follow the travails of Wade Burleson on his web site. He too is from the state of Oklahoma. Hmm, I sense a trend developing. From there I started reading Wes Kenney's (counter-conventional blog wisdom) thoughts. He is also from that panhandled state.

But the straw that broke the camel’s back was the shocking news that Art Rogers is heading out west!!

So why does Oklahoma wield such tremendous power in the blogosphere? (Some might proffer the explanation that there’s little else to DO in Oklahoma, but I wouldn't say that.) But as native (though now former) Texan I never gave Oklahoma a great deal of thought. (Except on those all too frequent occasions when OU spanked Texas in the Red River Shootout). But I need to rethink these deeply held prejudices. After all, Oklahoma does host the world’s greatest fast food chain, and was the college stomping grounds of my favorite Dallas writer and one of my favorite theologians.

Full disclosure: I was saved some twenty odd years ago during summer camp at the gorgeous Falls Creek encampment. I was baptized by a current faculty member at Oklahoma Baptist University, and my father-in-law is a non-attending member of the Emmanuel Baptist Church in Enid, a fact I discovered only yesterday. My bride, Kadie, was also born in Enid, though quickly left the state afterward. That is the extent of my Oklahoma-related ties.

So what gives? Has the geo-political-theological center of Baptist life shifted from Nashville to Shawnee? And is that a good thing?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are more OU grads in Dallas, TX than in any other city in the world. It's not that Okies are leaving home for greener pastures... we're infiltrating Texas!

Wes Kenney said...

Calling Braum's food fast is a bit of a stretch, don't you think?

Also, and I hate to point this out, but there's no "d" in my name...

To answer your question, though, no, it's just "ok"... ;-)

Taran said...

Wes,

Many apologies for the misspelled name. I have now fixed it. Let's just say that I am a product of a high school and state college system that ranks FAR below Oklahoma's.

Thanks for stopping by.

Kevin Stilley said...

Dear Tarzan,

Some of us okies are down here in Texas learning how to brag, and then we are going back to Oklahoma to have something to brag about.

Taran said...

Kevin,

Thanks for the comment. I appreciate the name you gave me. I'm a big fan of Johnny Weissmuller.