Sunday, May 27, 2007

After Service Comments

We are trekking to Mount Petit Jean for a few days of R&R before school starts later this week, so blog entries will be nonexistent. For a change of pace, I thought I'd ask for some contributions.

The following lines were all shared with me back during my Lone Oak days. Each of them are absolutely true…

“You’ll make a good preacher one day.” (This was said early in my stay at Lone Oak).

“You always manage to find something to fill up the time.” (You can just sense the underlying feeling of resignation that accompanied this line).

“I appreciated what you were trying to do.” (I loved this line. He told it to me right after I tried a dramatic monologue sermon—the only time I’ve ever done so).

“If I’d known you were going to be good today I’d have brought a neighbor.” (A joke...I think).


“Did you know there are 243 panes of glass in the windows?” (Said by a child after the service.)

“We shouldn’t make you preach so often.” (I’m not sure how to take this one).


“I think God has called you to be a professor.” My all time favorite, uttered with complete sincerity by a Hill Country cowboy.

Gentle readers, please add your favorite lines to the comments

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Taran,
Good post. It will get my brain cells working to remember some of the comments I have heard through the years. I normally try and block them out. This one has stuck with me for some time....
"D that was better than usual."
Hmmmmm...what is it usually like, or do I even want to know?

DD

Dave Samples said...

Less than a month ago, one of my men who has become somewhat critical of my performance as pastor, "prayerfully" told me, "The problem is that you're just not a leader..."

Anonymous said...

Taran, told my wife about your post. She laughed and reminded me of one particularly painful episode...
In my first church I had to preach during the pastor's absence. I was very nervous and evidently said the word, "awesome," quite a bit. After the service people just streamed out saying, "what an awesome job! Awesome sermon! Awesome delivery!" I had no clue and was enjoying the compliments until later in the week some said that they counted me using the word awesome over 50 times. Ouch.
DD

Taran said...

DD,

Those first sermons are often the most painful, for both preacher and ther audience.

Dave,

Let me guess. He "prayerfully" told you this information right before the Sunday morning service.

Benjie said...

Your list is great. In my first pastorate (a "bi-vocational" situation), I heard often, "you'll make a great preacher, one day." This, after I had been preaching for more than 10 years.

The other line that always gets me is the little lady who exits the service smiling ear to ear with, "Each sermon is better than the next one."

Taran said...

Benji,

Great lines (and uncomfortably familier ones too)! Welcome to the blog and please comment again.