
We continue our look at history at Susan Song. The last few Wednesday evenings we have discussed the past and how it has affected (and still affects) the church. I have initiated the discussion by asking questions like:
What is your favorite time of year here at Susan Song?
What traditions are passed on in your family? What traditions are an important part of the church life?
What was the most exciting thing to happen during your time at Susan Song?
What was the most tragic thing to occur at Susan Song?
It was when I asked this final question that I received the most surprising responses. While most in the group associated the “most exciting thing” with some corporate achievement of the church, most associated the “most tragic thing” personally. People told me about the deaths of their spouses, children, and other key members of the church.
I think what surprised me was the simple reminder that people in our churches don’t always have strife and difficulties because of events at church. They are often directed and motivated by events that are beyond our control. I wonder how many church conflicts have their roots in the personal rather than the corporate spheres?
No comments:
Post a Comment