Monday, September 11, 2006

Blessings in a Jar

I attended my first business meeting at Susan Song last Wednesday. It was conducted in the same, informal way that so many are in smaller churches across the convention. During the meeting, one member made a motion that “We use the blessings jar for the $300.00” and then she turned and grinned at me. I had no idea what she was talking about.

But apparently Susan Song has a glass vase that they keep on the Lord’s Supper Table (?!) in front of the pulpit. From week to week, as people feel led, they place money in the vase and it grows over time. What the church has voted to do is use the money to pay for the reflections time at the end of the interim. I thought that was a very appropriate solution that should resolve our pinch from a few weeks ago.

After they explained to me what it was I said “Hmmmm, that sounds a lot like a tip jar.” They were amused feigned amusement. Well, at least I have some experience earning tips!

No comments: