Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Chili's Life Lessons


During the four years I attended Southewestern Baptist Theological Seminary in the ewarly Nineties, I worked at Chili's restaurant on Hulen drive in Fort Worth. I had a great expereince there and even toyed with the idea of getting into mangagement for awhile (until God calmly reinforced my calling to the ministry). Recently, Wes Kennedy commented positively on the importance of tipping in Greensboro and got me thinking about those days again.

Things I learned at Chili's:

As noted on Wes' blog, the stereotrype that Christians are really lousy tippers is justified.

Any Spanish that you learn from the kitchen cooks, contains profanity.

When you are cutting onions and the tears well up, if you go into the walk-in freezer your tear ducts will close and you will stop crying. (This works at home too, just stick your head in the freezer). Note: do not try this with your small children.

Food service managers work longer hours for less pay than most anyone I know.

A lot of people break up their relationships at restaurants.

Working a double shift in the smoking section affects your body.

I now know what a triple sec is.

When a patron asks for another straw, don’t carry it out in your bare hand, wrap it in a napkin.

It is possible to carry a two dinner double fajitas orders (plus their set ups) on one hand (with the tray stand in the other).

Drunks are not particularly amusing.

At Chili’s, we had to sweep and mop down the floors and tables every night. It is one clean restaurant.

Sometimes guys tip to try to impress their dates. On one single occasion, I received a $100.00 tip from a guy trying to impress his date.

Top shelf margaritas are REALLY expensive.

If you have a really caked on, burned in stain in the microwave, get a wet washcloth, lay it over the stain and microwave it for 1:30 on high.

You really shouldn’t eat an Awesome Blossom by yourself (It has enough fat grams to last you for 3 days!!!)

If you take a glass mug straight out of the hot dishwasher and fill it with ice and a cold coke, the glass will break and the bottom will drop out of it.

The bartenders have the most interesting stories in the store.


Favorite seminary/Chili’s story:

After working the lunch shift, my manager was trying to get me to work a night shift that evening. He was a muscle builder and had the constitution of an ox. His physically imposing presence made him difficult to turn down. I explained to him that I couldn’t work the night shift because I had to study for a Hebrew test (with Dr. F. B. Huey) early the next morning. He said to me “Dude, don’t you know that the Catholics already translated the Bible a long time ago?”

1 comment:

Taran said...

That would be the time that I waited on an enormous couple. An obese Cowboy and his voluminous wife. Squeezed in between them was a kid around 3 years old also wearing a cowboy hat like his Daddy.

I took theior prodigious order (something like 2 dinner orders of fajitas, an awesome blossom, cheeze fries and a basket of onion rings).

I then started to leave when the father gently took my arm and said "Well, what about the little guy?" refering to his son. I thought that there had been enough food ordered to cover them all. I was mistaken. I then took the order for the kid.