
Skeeter has a fascinating habit that she has developed over the years. Whenever she dines at home, she eats standing up. When we are out at a restaurant or at church for a meal, she usually remains in her seat. But at home, something possesses her to take to her feet. It could be honor for the daily repaste, latent feelings of superiority, or even an innate desire to always be prepared to flee the room if needed. But it's not something she does intentionally. Do other people do this? I mean, Lileks stands up when he writes, but surely not when he eats. Here is a typical picture of breakfast on a busy school morning.
Note also Squealer in a quiet moment of reflection. (I am unsure how he managed to get his portable piano to the table during the meal. I was never allowed to sing at the table growing up, much less play the Rach 3 as he seems prepared to do). Note also his spoon, under the table, cast aside as too cumbersome a device for eating Cheerios in milk. Fingers work better.
We have threatened Skeeter with time outs and other, more stringent, actions to get her to stay in her seat, but they are to no avail. She remains upright. We have essentially accepted this little eccentricity on her part and not forced her to conform to Western society’s arbitrary standard position of eating. It helps that she is roughly the same height as everyone else while they are sitting. So it really isn’t too distracting. It’s not like we are eating a meal next to an upright Yao Ming.
This episode demonstrates parenting in a nutshell. Figure out what habits and directions are destructive and try to weed those out. Accept the inconsequential behaviors. As one wiser than I has commented: Keep the end result in mind. Is Skeeter’s habit odd, and somewhat annoying to the uninitiated? Undoubtedly. But if our goal is to work to produce Christ-like children, then I suppose sitting down at the table is optional.
If somewhat annoying.
3 comments:
I feel the need to stand (and sometimes pace) when I'm talking on the phone. I don't know why!
Are you going to have to raise your table as she grows? In a couple of years, will you have a cafe table? And then in a few more, a bar table? Just wondering...
I like the way you think Pomonkey. This might convince Kadie of the necessity of those bar stools I've craved. What if I ate and paced at the same time! My net caloric intake would be zero. What a great idea!!!!!
We have LOTS of standing at our table (from a certain, precious 3 year old). Todd states that there will be more important battles to win, to let this one slide (along with the drinks that usually slide off the table)...much to my irritation. Oh well.
Post a Comment