Monday, March 20, 2006

First Post





I suppose my initial post will deal with the question of why. Why blog? The first answer will be that it is because I need to discipline myself to write some each day. I often find myself writing for my job, or filling out documents for various projects at home, but I haven't kept anything approaching a diary for decades. Guys in particular are notoriously unreflective. And yet I am fascinated by this world in which we live.

If introspection is where a person travels inward and explores himself, tohimself, then I suppose what I have more in mind here in this blog is extrospection. (Wait, a quick google search reveals---rats, I thought I had coined a neologism, ahh well). I want to explore myself in this world.

I also want to keep some written record of my family. I have been blessed with a fellow traveler in my wife, and with three active, loving children. They will each play a large role in this blog as well.

I am no fan, nor any great student of T. S. Eliot. But I do think that Prufrock was right in that life can be measured in coffeespoons. I understand that he meant this with some degree of condescension, but I hope to lay out some interesting coffeespoons in this blog.

So, this blog will consist of looks at me, my family, and my world (I am reminded of Douglas Adams' Life the Universe and Everything).

And finally for this initial post, I am thoroughly convinced, by both experience and faith, that there is a loving spirit at work in this world today. Through this blog, I hope to practice what the ancient Hebrews did when they so often recounted God's salvation history in the life of their community. I hope to narrate, through the minutia of my pedestrian life, my firm belief that God can be revealed even in the coffeespoons.

Oh, and Eliot believed He could too by the way!

1 comment:

Taran said...

I thank you for your blessing. Had Eliot been a Los Angelenos, he no doubt would've counted out his life in swizzle sticks.