One of the more lengthy discussions our Pastor's Search Committee has had was over whether or not our recommendation to the church will have to be unanimous. Those who believed that the committee should be unanimous emphasized the fact that our church is very unified right now, and that that unity should be reflected in the recommendation. In addition, there was the belief that if we are each sensitive to God’s direction, then our conclusion will be inescapable. Finally, there was also the concern that a divided committee might help to provide a divided church in the long run. If things with the new pastor went south, then those who had opposed calling him all along might mention that to the church.
Arguing against this view was the position of some that we can never be sure that everyone else on the committee has a proper relationship with God. Someone could act selfishly, like Achan, and be out of step with God’s will.
Ultimately, after much discussion we decided that we would only present a unanimous recommendation to the church. Although I see strengths on each side, I ultimately think that we will be fine with pursuing unanimity as a committee. We have a good group serving and I trust their sensitivity to God’s direction.
(Back to main Pastor Search Committee Menu)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Taran, I have met several pastors who demanded unanimity on their vote by the entire church. Doubt if I would do that, especially since it has yet to happen on any of my three 'callings.' However, as a prospective pastor, I would NOT consider a church if the committee was not unanimous. My two cents, not that you were asking.
DD
DD,
A great point! Thanks (as always) for sharing. I had not thought about it from the prospective pastor's perspective. (Try saying THAT three times fast).
Post a Comment