Wednesday, September 06, 2006

The Tragedy of Sin

Two couples in a church.

An alleged indiscretion.

Each maintains their innocence, but only one can be telling the truth. Kadie is torn as those involved are our friends. My cynical nature shields me somewhat from the pain. But the situation is another reminder (as if we needed it!) of the powerful sin nature that grips us all. Although I will readily admit the theological difficulties of a sinful nature, I have long been convinced of its truth. Sin infects each of us and we see its terrible effects every day.

But its tough when you see fellow church members engage in it and it destroys their relationships. Ultimately, that is what sin does. It separates us, not only from God, but from each other.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Re: "Only one can be telling the truth".

If two couples are involved, then there are at least four stories. Four biased stories each told through the lens of a person with an agenda.

I've found that occasionally - rarely - someone is the victim of a complete lie. More often, it boils down to things like the definition of "indiscretion".

"I didn't have an affair" may mean it was "only" an inappropriate emotional relationship.

Or, "He beats his child" may mean I don't believe in spanking and he does.

Unfortunately, there is often enough blame to go around. What many people are really arguing over is the degree or extent of an indiscretion.

Taran said...

Bowden,

Through the use of your counseling skills/Jedi Mind tricks, you hit the nail on the head. In fact, some of your posts on an emotional affair (which I stole for a conversation with one of the four today) rang particularly true in this instance.

A combination of different interpretations of the truth and outright prevarication contributed to this problem, but more of the former than the latter.