Friday, September 26, 2008

The Encore Effect: A Review


I have a few criteria on a good book for self help books. I like them to be short, and they need to have a few helpful tips on productivity. So I looked forward to reading Mark Sanborn's work The Encore Effect: How to Achieve Remarkable Performance in Anything You Do .


According to Sanborn, everyone wants to make a difference in the world, but most have no idea how to maximize their impact. In The Encore Effect, best-selling author and leadership expert Sanborn purports to provide the answer. He leads readers in six practices that will move them beyond excellence to distinction and from mundane to memorable. These principles guide readers to draw on their passion and devote themselves to preparation, practice, presentation, polishing, and finally, avoiding pitfalls. When readers follow these principles they will find that people are attracted to them. More importantly, they'll find that they now have an influence over others that can impact lives for eternity.


The "Encore" in the title of the book refers to the idea that you will do such a great job in your work that you will be asked by your coworkers/bosses/friends to keep doing it. The image is one of a performance. I do like the idea that when we work on something, we are performing. I don't think it should sound artificial and fake that I describe my teaching or preaching, as a performance.


Essentially, he takes common sense for increasing performance and packages it in an attractive hardcover book. But do we really need another book the spends time repackaging the common sense items that most people already know. You could summarize much of what he says in an aphorism or two "Practice makes perfect", etc.

One other concern is that the copy I received has special additions that make it more useful to Christians. It comes with verses and thoughtful Christian questions and verse quotations that are meant to probe the material from a Christian perspective. But I usually feel a bit queasy when target marketed. If the Christian material was integral to the book, then Sanborn should've included it in the generally released copy. If not, then it should've been omitted. I'm not fond of books that are printed one way for Christians and another way for everyone else.

Not a big fan of the book. (I have no extra copies, but after that review would you want one??)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Geez, sorry you didn't like the book. I don't say "Practice makes perfect" actually; in the book I say "Practice doesn't make you perfect but it makes you better." The less common point everyone doesn't know or at least think about is that outside of sports or music--at work in particular--people don't practice deliberately. One of the challenges is that if we're lucky we learn as we go along. My work for 20+ years has found that making time and knowing how to practice one's craft is important.

In terms of your views on two editions, I feel similarly. Isn't it a drag that we have to either overtly package to have a book represented in the Christian market or edit to get it accepted into a politcally correct and secular world? Such is life in a fallen and imperfect world. I'm willing to do the significantly extra work to write two versions so that I can support overtly the underlying Christian themes in my work for those who are believers.

Since you've freely shared your views of my work, I'll share that the final tone of your review is a bit disappointing. I'm all for dialogue and disagreement, but flip or snide remarks like "who would want a copy?" detract from the reviewer's credibility, not the author of the work being reviewed.

Taran said...

Mark,

Thanks so much for dropping by. I'm honored that you came by to comment. I hope that one negative review of your work doesn't stick with you too long. I also commend you for taking the time to respond individually. It certainly is to your credit that you take the time to spend on such an insignificant blog.

My point was not that you said "practice makes perfect," but rather that your quote "practice doesn't make you perfect but makes you better" isn't much of an improvement on that common sensical idea. The point is still the same, right? People should practice more. All I was saying is that isn't a revolutionary concept.

As to your last comment on my part...I guess it reads like a pretty cheap shot. I certainly didn't intend it to be. What I was trying to say is that after you read a negative review, you generally don't want a copy of the book mentioned. Upon rereading it, it looks a bit harsh and for that I apologize. If it's any consolation (and I'm sure it is none) this very day I heard from the publisher of my own first book...let's just say that in my case, not many people have wanted a copy of it!! As to my credibility departing? That happened a while ago.

Anonymous said...

Hi Taran,

I appreciate the chance to dialogue with you on this. Sometimes I hesitate to respond thinking that I'll create an argument rather than a discussion. You response is a positive example of the kind of discussion I think most writers like to see happen.

Like many, I fight being thin-skinned about my work. No secret there. A backstory you might find interesting: years ago I blogged about a book that in retrospect was a pretty good book but had a title that I didn't like. It wasn't that I didn't like the title so much as the way I blogged about it (harshly). Turns out the author contacted me and was justifiably hurt. I was mortified. It was a wake-up call for me and I've been more measured since. (In the interesting way God works, the author and I became good friends professionally).

And in the spirit of fairplay, my comment about credibility and your parting comment being harsh also seemed...well, harsh. I regret fighting harsh comments with harsh comments and appreciate your acknowledgement.

Best regards,
Mark

Taran said...

Mark,

Thanks again. I've certainly learned the same lesson you mention through our dialogue. I'll work on being less glib in future reviews.

May God continue to bless you in your work.