Now for something completely different. I was asked to review three children's books. They are aimed at the toddler years, so its approximately equivalent to my maturity level. But in order to be objective, I figured that I would just read these with Squealer, and then report on his reactions. But he didn't really like any of them, so I'm somewhat at a loss. I think his five year old self is moving beyond toddler interests.
Of the three, God Gave us Heaven is the best. It narrates the wintery world of Little Cub. Little Cub awakens one morning with some important questions on her mind: What is heaven like? How do we get there? Will we eat in heaven? Will we be angels? During a cold day spent wandering their arctic world, Papa gently answers each question, assuring Little Cub that heaven is a wonderful place, "a million times better" than she can imagine. He explains how God has made a way for those who love him to enter their heavenly home forever after their lives on earth are over.
I think the best thing about this book is that it generated a great conversation between Kadie and Squealer when she read it to him. She mentioned that she will see her mom when she gets to heaven and (for the first time), Squealer inquired about his grandmother, whom we lost almost twenty years ago.
In When God Made My Toes, kids are drawn into the wonder of their creation by God. Their masterful artist who fashioned them just right for amazing and delightful adventures, such as roller skating, finger-painting, doing flips, and drinking cocoa. Imaginative rhymes and I did like the connection between the fact that we are a unique part of God's Creation. It nicely brings the idea that the same God who created the natural world, took time and effort to create us as well.
In God Loves Me More Than That, children learn that God loves them deeper than a wishing well, wider than a semi-truck, louder than thunder, and softer than a kitten's sneeze. Each question, presented with charming child-like faith will help young ones grasp the great love of God through comparisons and descriptions they can easily understand. In short, they'll discover that His love is bigger, wider, higher, and deeper than anything they could imagine! This one was our least favorite of the three.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
These all sound over my head.
Post a Comment