Thursday, May 01, 2008

A Love That's Stronger Than our Fears (I)

**Note, I'm tired of thinking about PSC stuff right now, so the next few posts will cover an experience I had this week***

Last year I was asked to speak at a Gay and Lesbian support group on campus. The faculty advisor is an agnostic, but understands the importance of faith in the lives of people (particularly in our section of the South). The topic she asked me to address was what the Bible teaches about homosexual acts After much prayer and no small degree of anguish I accepted, knowing that my views would run counter to those of the members of the group as well as the advisor. But the students were respectful and though some (obviously) challenged my readings of the texts, the conversation was quite courteous.

A couple of months ago she asked me to come back and give a book review of a recent Barna book called UnChristian (a book that Benjie is also currently working through). This book presents research showing what outsiders (nonbelievers) think of evangelical Christianity. One chapter of the book shows that outsiders perceive Christians as being fundamentally anti-homosexual. Because of this perspective, the faculty advisor asked me to come by and review the work.

With everything else on my plate, I was less that receptive to going back. Last year’s presentation required a lot of preparation and mental energy that I wasn’t sure I would have. Some friends at church advised against going telling me “It is a set up, a trap!” But after much prayer and thinking about how to respond, it was my brother Bartolo who crystallized it for me. He asked me a simple question “Would Jesus go to their meeting?”

Without hesitation I knew the answer, he would. And if he would, then I obviously would need to do so.

I hate it when Bartolo gives me sound advice...(at least it doesn't happen too often ;)

1 comment:

Benjie said...

Some of the perceptions expressed in the book are fostered by your friends' reactions at church--presuming that the on-campus group is trying to set you up. My advise (easy to give when it's your situation and not mine) is to do what you're doing: accept the invitation and be as genuine as you can, being Jesus among a group of people without Him.

If we would begin to live our lives this way more often, who knows, outsiders' perceptions of us may begin to change.

Blessings,
Benj.