Several questions were generated by my review:
Why are Southern Baptists in particular so anti-homosexual in their views?
Several students asked me about what I thought of the Bishops Spong and Robinson.
The faculty advisor of the group asked me why homosexuality is considered a worse sin than adultery. “Jesus teaches that divorce is equivalent to adultery and we have many people who attend church that are divorced. Why are homosexuals treated differently?”
Some questions about how homosexuality is treated in the Bible.
Providing an odd ending to the meeting was a young man, who had never before attended this group. (He rminded me of Elihu). He said “All of you are missing the key question in this discussion: What about Jesus? You have all missed this point!” The faculty advisor replied “Those are your questions, but not the ones we are discussing today.”
I then told him that this setting was not the proper venue for a theological discussion just as one would not go to an accounting club meeting and ask everyone to talk about the exclusivity of salvation in Christ. He then turned to (on?) me and said “You’ve been doing nothing but dancing with words throughout this meeting. You are dancing around the most important issue of all!”
I replied “I am greatly insulted that you say I’m doing nothing but dancing with words. I carefully chose the words I’ve used and I am offended that you would characterize my discussion as dancing.
Mostly because I told you earlier that I’m Southern Baptist and I do not dance.”
Tomorrow, a final post script on the discussion.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment