My first Bad Father Moment of The Year (BFMOTY) occurred on Monday. The morning was atypical. First, it was Squealer’s birthday as he turned five years old. Plus, two new kids shattered our normal morning routine. Kadie has an RN coworker who needed us to take her two boys to school for her. They go to Skeeter’s school and we were glad to do it.
The two kids arrived at 6:30 am and we fed them breakfast. They are nine and seven and, naturally, overflowing with excess energy. When Squealer wandered in at 7:00 he saw two strange boys sitting at his breakfast table eating oatmeal. Since Squealer had just awakened, he stared his unfocusing eyes at these two strangers at his table. In a thoughtless moment, I instinctively blurted out “Squealer, these are your two new brothers. Happy Birthday!” Much to the laughter of all.
After the boys finished their breakfast they proceeded to chase, push, and tickle Squealer until they went off to school. Squealer loved it. That night as Squealer prepared for bed, he prayed “Thank you God for my brothers.” Then the next morning as he wandered into the kitchen populated only by his two sisters, and asked plaintively “Where are my brothers?”
Making matters even worse was the fact that I was out of town and Kadie had to explain to Squealer that I was just joking the day before.
When I returned she told me the whole story and I said “Thanks for cleaning up after my mess.”
“Yet again” she added.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I think that Taran should sincerely clean up his mess by providing Squealer with some older brothers! I know that there are foster children available in your area. How else do we teach children to believe/trust in their parents?
That's hilarious! I can't stop laughing! It sounds like something I'd do, but I know I'd have to fess up to the joke immediately after seeing the boys' faces. Poor Squealer.
You could have easily covered your mess with another lie. Like maybe they were special one-day-only brothers sent from the moon and they had to be back by midnight.
I loved your post. Thanks for sharing it. If you check your map for post locations, you will find Ghana now listed. Check out my church blog and you can see what we are up to over here.
DD
Anon,
3 is enough.
Ashley,
Not one of my bbetter parental moments.
Bobby,
I've often found lies covering lies to be helpful.
DD,
That is unbelievable. Three churches in three days? How incredible! It is amazing what God can do through a church (and pastor) that is obedient to Him.
Post a Comment