Tuesday, October 09, 2007

PSC as Ministry

Over the last few weeks, I’ve had a few encounters that have put an interesting perspective on the Pastoral Search Process. What has surprised me the most so far is the possibility of this committee work itself being a form of ministry. I haven’t read any other accounting of the Pastor Search Committee as an act of ministry, but this possibility was pointed out to me over lunch a few months ago.

What planted this concept in my mind was a lunch conversation I had with the search chair from the previous search committee. He mentioned that in the course of their search, they had an opportunity to minister to pastors, even the ones whom they then did not call. That got me thinking about ministry possibilities with this committee. I think there have been a few opportunities for ministry already in the process.

First, and perhaps most obvious, are those opportunities for us as a committee to minister to our own individual members. We’ve had a few scary situations arise involving the family of committee members and we’ve taken the time to pray for them and to encourage the committee members themselves. The Pastor Search Committee has provided an additional support system beyond Sunday School. At times our meetings consist mostly of prayer and a substantial portion of that prayer has been for ourselves and for our families.

A second opportunity for ministry has been to individuals within our church. Due to distant conflicts, our previous pastor made the decision to isolate the senior adults within our church. They have not been included in any decision making over the course of the last decade or so. After our committee was announced, we noted that no senior adults were included on the committee. So we designated one of our committee members a special liaison with the senior adults in order to provide them with appropriate input. We also conducted a special break out session with the senior adults during the Sunday school time (instead of during the evening service, as we did with the rest of the church) because so many of them are fearful of driving after dark. They have expressed a lot of appreciation and I think are feeling like they have more of a role in the decision making process of the church.

Lastly has been an opportunity to minister to pastors. I’ve had several initial conversations with around seven pastors and several of them have expressed appreciation for our conversation. They mention being flattered, or feeling honored that we have even contacted them. Some of them have described private hurts, or frustrations, and have identified us as a “safe” group to talk with about their ministries and their dreams. There are a lot of good, humble men in the ministry out there.

I must confess that I am intrigued by this concept of a PSC as ministry. We’ll see if I still feel that way later on!!

(Back to main Pastor Search Committee Menu)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Taran, this is a great post and particularly astute...however, my greater concern is that you might be channeling the SI jinx. PLease don't comment on #9 anymore....Fumbles, interceptions and bungled snaps are sure to follow.
DD as a Concerned Cowboy Fan...

Taran said...

DD,

I certainly won't mention his name anymore. I may simply refer to #9 as Voldemort-- "He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named."

Mister Ginger said...

Working in to different non-profit 'ministries' I've found the same somewhat unexpected pattern of first ministering to one another.