Tuesday, August 28, 2007

40th Bash

The Taran household is now 2 for 2 in surprise parties for 2007. (See other one here).

Last Saturday, we threw a surprise 40th anniversary soiree for my parents. Months in the planning, we invited a few hundred people and came up with food, drinks, and music for a crowd.

The brides Kadie and Bonita did the lion's share of the work. Miguelito, Bartolo and I (spending our time tapping toes impatiently) were ill equipped to assist. In one feisty exchange, Bartolo called me to ask about the color of the table skirts. “Ummmm, that’s really not my area of responsibility, let me give the phone to Kadie” I replied. He then asked sarcastically “What exactly is your area of responsibility then?” Basically music and slides as it turned out. I got a local jazz group (with ties to our university) to play at the party and I also scanned in many pictures from their (secretly purloined) wedding album and from various family trips and over the course of our lives.

Family came in from across the state. Tommy arrived with his world famous chocolate fondue and the kids gathered around it looking just like goldfish at the water’s surface around feeding time.

The party was a complete surprise. Bonita proved to be an exceptional liar and came up with the idea of telling them we were going to have pictures made. So we all had an excuse to get dressed up and head out to the location in town. The kids also participated by telling granddaddy how much they wanted to go to the park (while it was 100 degrees) in order to keep him distracted. It is good when you involve your children in lies.

PT Girl graciously brought her camera and arranged several pictures with the various elements of our families. Everyone pitched in and helped a lot. I am still amazed that we kept the secret for so long.

Mom and Dad were shocked, but fell back immediately to their giftedness in the areas of hospitality and grace, they enjoyed themselves immensely as they got to spend three hours with old friends and family.

Growing up, my grandmother and mom both catered weddings throughout much of their lives. At the end of the gala Mom turned to me and said “I’m so glad that the next generation has taken over the organization of parties.”

Of such things, memories are made.

3 comments:

bobby said...

I'm sorry I missed this. You've made me feel a part of your family over the years and it stings to be so far away. (Boy, did someone swallow a Hallmark card?)

Also, you used my favorite word: purloined.

Anonymous said...

I've always striven to be exceptional at something...

Anonymous said...

I loved the party and hopefully will remember all the guests when I see pictures. The brides did an exceptional job planning a beautiful party and a deliscious array of food! I've received many compliments in your honor! The brides were exceptional in their planning and in their twists on family tales. We'll all remember the depths of their "inventiveness".
Thanks again for a beautiful memory!
Love,
Mom