My sports passions revolve around football and baseball in that order. Hockey doesn’t exist and basketball is largely irrelevant. That is ironic given my childhood. The one sports I played more than the others was basketball. I still harbor fond memories of playing for our church in the Royal Ambassador’s league. I recall arriving early at the gym on Saturday mornings and shivering as we started bouncing basketballs in the cold, empty gym.
I was never a gifted player and looked forward to my minute or two of playing. I took from my playing time an appreciation for teamwork and a marginal jump shot (which I have recently used to devastating effect) but little else. I have concluded that at the end of the day, basketball is far more fun to play than to watch. I will, from time to time, catch a part of a professional game. (Who could ignore the incredible run the Mavericks are on right now?) But I NEVER watch college basketball.
Which brings me to March.
To say that you cannot stand college basketball is to utter blasphemy. It is the same as yelling “Raca” before the Sanhedrin. A stoneable offense. March Madness has become a cottage collage industry as millions are heaped upon schools for the benefit of the viewing audiences.
But it’s not the demand upon financial resources that I despise, but rather the drain on sports resources. Every sports commentary on radio, blogs and newspapers is filled with minutia regarding the teams, bubbles, their coaches, and fans. March Madness, with its infernal brackets and its overexposed Dick Vitale, is a vast wasteland of sports, a great Black Hole of useless activity.
I can’t stand it.
Only a little more than two weeks until a real sport begins.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I feel that I am partially to blame for your insane opinion. We obviously did not spend enough time together back in March of 92-94, because if we had, my influence would run deeper than just with the baseball (thanks Tony LaRussa). March Madness is filled with drama, energy, athleticism and adreniline! Baseball . . . and here's the pitch . . . wait, he steps off the rubber . . . he goes to the rosin bag . . . he readjusts his cup . . . and climbs back on the hill. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy baseball thoroughly but there is not comparison. And attmepting to mask your ignorance with words like "Lacuna" is hitting below the belt . . . but you are probably wearing a cup. Got to go . . . the games are on!
Bobby,
Watching Federer is interesting? He's lost one match in the last five years. But I will say when it comes to participating in a sport, I'm with you all the way.
Bruce,
Everything I am in the world of baseball I owe to you and Ken Burns. But if one of the defining moments in Final Four history is when someone called time out, I remain unconvinced of its drama. March remains as hollow as a basketball.
Hey, lacuna was on my word of the day calendar and I had to use it.
7:34 AM
Post a Comment