Monday, March 26, 2007

Miscellaneous Drivel

Cherry Coke Zero is the best beverage going right now. Coke Zero is slowly taking over the world.

Next season, Jack Bauer will climb aboard a spaceship and (with the help of Chloe and his cell phone) rescue the universe from the big crunch. All in 24 hours.

I still miss Rich Mullins.

At this point, the Democrats are going to destroy the Republicans in the 08’ elections. And the way the Elephants have governed, they will deserve it.

Scooter and Skeeter go ga-ga over Superchick.

300 is too violent. That’s an odd statement to make about a war film, but I think that it is accurate. Saving Private Ryan was violent, but its violence was in service to its realism. The violence in 300 was stylized in an attempt to make it hip. Also, as a general rule, I try to witness no more than one decapitation every 5 years. This film had a good three or four of them. (A pet peeve: the posters for 300 all said “From the writer of Sin City.” I was unaware that Herodotus wrote Sin City). Kadie’s comment after watching the film: “Esther never would’ve married that guy!”

There are few things more pitiful than a four year old with a stomach virus. Squealer simply doesn't understand what is going on. All he knows is that his Daddy won't give him some milk when he's thirsty or a PB&J when he's starving...mostly because Daddy is tired of washing his comforter, sheets, and mattress pad because he's deposited partially digested milk and sandwich all over the place.

We have gorgeous oak trees in our neighborhood, but twice a year (in the Fall and Spring) they shed like long haired cats. Plus we live at the end of the block and every time it rains they all drain down into our front yard.

March Madness is almost over. Finally!

I really like the automated check out lines that are now ubiquitous throughout the retail world. I use them constantly, even when I exceed 15 items. (I am careful to always ask for a special suspension of the rules). I get to move in and out of the store quite quickly. The only downside is that I never bag the groceries correctly and end up with squished bread. A small price to pay.

Chewing gum is underrated.

I really, really enjoy Celtic Woman. I suspect that the high-brow among us sniff down at their popularity, but I like them a lot. There is something very compelling about songs in unknown languages. (Plus it’s very fun for the whole family to try to sing along with Sail Away.)

Lastly, when people point out all the pain, suffering, and bitterness in the world today, I can point out what a wonderful God we serve who accomplishes magnificent things like this.

No comments: