Thursday, June 08, 2006

Worst Mission Meal??

My new word for the day is hippophagy. (I am pleased that MS Word has a red underline next to it). It means, roughly, the eating of something (not hippos). I encountered this word in a recent book review. It got me thinking, what is the strangest “delicacy” you have ever ingested? I think of three offhand, each of them I "enjoyed" while in foreign missions:

1) I did summer missions work in Moscow and we ate cow tongue, suspended in jellied beef fat. I could simply not finish it. It was the fat, not the tongue. You know when you put roast beef in the refrigerator over night and then you look at it the next morning and it has little jellied fat around it? That is exactly what surrounded the tongue.

2)Also in Russia, this time in St. Petersburg. The church where we worked had become convinced that Spam was an American delicacy. We ate spam soup, spamwiches, and spam borscht. I literally have not had spam in the 17 years since that trip and the next time I have it will be too soon for me. (Perhaps we should’ve been working for the church of Spam?)

3)But the worst was a combination of sardines and scrambled eggs. I encountered this delicacy in southern Brazil on a mission trip. I am proud to say (obviously I am proud, I am a blogger after all;) that I ate every bite. The pastor who prepared it watched us while we ate and we were afraid that we might offend him. The best part was that our team discussed how awful it tasted while smiling and trying to look spiritual. The pastor spoke no English and could not tell that our conversation was more culinary than cross-cultural.

What is the worst you have eaten on a trip, mission or otherwise? (not counting college food, like the 3 "pizzas" for a dollar you could get at Albertsons in the 1980s).

1 comment:

PoMonkey said...

One of my worst was as recent as February on a trip to Singapore at a traditional Chinese New Year's meal with several Chinese colleagues. The fish lips we had to eat literally turned my stomach. To make it worse, this scrumptious delicacy was followed by what I now affectionately call Mini-brains...small mushrooms that, I promise, looked just like a tiny brain. Although I like mushrooms, this jellied dish along with the lips made me offend everyone in the room!