Thursday, June 29, 2006

Fat Studies and "Fat" Ministers II

No, I'm not going to take a shot at obesity in the ministry. (Although I am reasonably sure that I could hit the (rather large) target. In fact, one study demonstrates that the denomination with the highest percentage of obesity is the SBC. Perhaps that's why we have never passed a resolution condemning gluttony, but have passed 74 resolutions on that other thing. And isn't cardiovascular disease the number one killer in North America, especially in the South?! But I digress...)

As I mentioned yesterday, Ms. LeBesco's attitude cautions us against identifying ourselves with our physical size. Most ministers would readily agree with that. But what I think they often have trouble doing is distinguishing between their ministry's size and their self-worth.

It is remarkable how often in ministerial gatherings the discussion shifts to church attendance. I have witnessed (and participated in) a not so subtle game of one upmanship that equates a large ministry with a successful ministry.

I am preaching from my own experience. All too often I located my self worth with the number of people in church the previous Sunday. It could affect (and even effect) my outlook for the following week. In fact, I am thoroughly convinced that God kept us in Lone Oak to relearn this lesson. I still need to learn it.

I am currently working through Henry Blackaby's book Spiritual Leadership: Moving People to God's Agenda. He refers to numbers as an inauthentic measure of spiritual leadership. I think that he is right on this point. Attendance make for an easy measuring stick because it is so easily quantifiable. It is more difficult to quantify discipleship.

So while we write off Ms. LeBesco's attempts to have her self-worth determined by size, we should keep in mind the more subtle variations of that same mindset. After all, (as Saul found out) it isn't the number of sacrifices we make, but rather our obedience that God most desires.

3 comments:

Kevin Bussey said...

I love Spiritual Leadership! My favorite line is "God is not interested in those who are committed to Him, but those who are submitted to Him." Ouch!

Anonymous said...

When the conversation turns to growth and size of membership, I'll sometimes point to the time I was an Intentional Interim and the church tripled in size during the two years I was there.

(Of course, I don't mention that we grew from 7 all the way up to 21.)

Taran said...

Kevin,

Such genuine conviction is normally disallowed at this blog. But since this is your first comment, I'll let it slide.

Bowden,

Given your recent post on doughnut consumption, you might qualify for BOTH Fat Studies and Fat Ministers.