Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Vocational Dreams

While a driven student, I had a recurring dream. I dreamed that I had accidentally signed up for a class and then that I never went to it all semester long. I always found out about it at the end of the semester and I had to go explain to the professor why he had never seen me before that time. I have spoken to other students (especially graduate students) and I now know that this dream is not uncommon.

But now I know that professors have dreams too. Mine are now just the opposite. Now, during stressful times in the semester, I dream that I have forgotten about a class I have been assigned. The entire semester goes by and I only find out about the class during the week before final exams. I immediately go to the class and offer them A’s if they will only remain quiet about the whole incident.

As a professor I realize the absurdity of each of these dreams. In the student dream, no prof would ever, EVER let me off the hook. As a department chair, I know now that students start showing up in my office if a faculty member is only 10 minutes late to a single class.

Years ago, in grad school, I used to work late nights at Chili's. On the weekend shifts I would get home between 2 and 3 in the morning and then I would dream that I kept waiting tables all night long.

The tips were always better in my dreams...Does anyone else have dreams about their occupations?

2 comments:

Mister Ginger said...

I'm standing in my boss' office, talking to him about something or other. It escalates into a heated argument and, suddenly, I'm pounding on his desk swearing at the top of my lungs. Tuesday night the dream was so real that it woke me up.

Mister Ginger said...

Tuesday I had my other recurring dream where I accidentally shave off my goatee. I’m always horrified when I realize what I’ve done.