Thursday, April 13, 2006

Reflections on Cycling


This week I got back into my groove. I returned to something I had put away throughout the winter months: riding my bicycle to work. Kadie and I wanted to live close to where we work. We purchased a home around 2 miles from our places of employment. My morning ride is relatively brief, lasting maybe 15 minutes. But it is peaceful. It allows me a chance to collect my thoughts before the onslaught of students and faculty hit.

There are also the physical benefits. It gets my heart rate up shortly before I arrive at work and also amps up my energy level to start the day. My ride home is more leisurely. I get the odd stare from the occasional student as I meander my way along the sidewalks of campus. It is fun to slowly make my way home and simply to enjoy the view. I enjoy the almost pastoral feeling I get when I ride by the verdant field surrounding our campus. Plus I see the kids in our neighborhood playing and get to revel in the sounds of children laughing and puppies barking. All in all, it is an unusual and enjoyable part of my day.


Plus gas just hit 2.70 a gallon here!!

2 comments:

Taran said...

Did I ever mention that our favorite English prof now sports a cane? It is entirely in keeping with his persona.

It seems that last year he was mowing his lawn and fell down a hill in his front yard. He had a nasty break and had to use crutches for several months. Then he weaned himself down to a cane. A year and a half later he seems to have recovered, but the cane remains. It looks very debonair.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful world if your unusual way becomes the usual. Well, at least this one thing...