Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Request: Denied!

Well, that was unpleasant.

Sorry for going dark for so long.

Last Tuesday our Dean stopped by my office and delivered a punch to the gut. Well, metaphorically anyway. He very apologetically, and also very painfully informed me that my tenure request had been denied.

Well then.

The surprise surpassed the anger. I have been told for years that my tenure was essentially a formality and that my work in the three areas of research, service and teaching were all above the level of the typical faculty member going up for tenure.

When I assembled my tenure file last fall, the department, dean and campus administration approved it in rapid succession. From here it went to the State system and was to be rubber stamped before it reached our system board for approval. This was the level where it was rejected.

Apparently there is a new sheriff in town and my file had one sticking point: it was early. Usually faculty go up for tenure in their sixth year, but due to some fuzzy math, this is technically my fifth year. But I was assured that it was not an issue. Those assurances were wrong. Give it a try next year. Next year it will be a done deal.

I don’t want to get blogged down in my professional failures, but I can’t let this event pass by unmentioned. I will not spend much time discussing this here at Coffeespoons. My prayer is that this will be a momentary setback and not a tectonic shifting of my calling and our lives.

Obviously God works through failures like this. I pray that we will see how God redeems this for his purposes. I am reminded that after all, God is in the Redemption business!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
PoMonkey said...

Glad you're back! We'll keep praying...

Taran said...

David D-

Thanks for the comment. I really appreciate it. I am editing your post to remove my name. Thnaks again!!1 By the way, I hadn't thought of hammering my students. Hmmmm....

{edited comment from David D}
Taran, that stinks. Sorry it didn't happen for you but you will get there. Hang tight and take your frustrations out on the students in your class! They deserve it!!!! Just kidding....

Matthew said...

Oy vey! Ditto bobby's comments. Nothing like a moving target when it comes to institutional requirements. Reminds me of a quote from a movie . . .

Robbie: [takes a deep breath, sighs] Gee, you know that information . . . really would've been more useful to me YESTERDAY!
The Wedding Singer (1998)

Taran said...

Bobby--to the extent that it didn't succeed, it was indeed a failure. But you're right. I'm starting to see, like the jilted girl at the dance, that maybe its him, not me.

Pomonkey--It is encouraging to have friends like the monkey family. I covet your prayers. In fact, the only positive to come out of this has been the love and encouragement of my friends, family, and coworkers.

Matthew--a great quote. Yes, hitting a moving target stinks. And thanks for the Yiddish. It is especially comforting when you've been treated like dreck.