
Taking a cue from veteran father Bowden McElroy, I looked forward to Friday when both the kids and I were out of school. Kadie worked the 7a to 3p shift and I timed it just right so that she and Squealer would both take a nap when she got home. After they were each unconscious, Scooter, Skeeter and I rode bikes up to the University campus. As I have noted, this isn’t new to me, but Skeeter in particular has made great strides in her riding ability. Apparently she secretly practiced all winter, because she inexplicably has gotten much, much better.
I was a nervous wreck as we made the trip from our home to the campus. I now know what mother ducks feel like as they waddle across the rode with their little chicks in formation behind them. After we made it to the sanctuary of the campus, I relaxed tremendously. We are a commuter campus, so the streets that criss-crossed the school were largely abandoned and the girls took turns playing follow the leader, while I was all-time follower. (I secretly preferred this because then I could keep my eye on them). We rode around the campus until we were exhausted.
I then opened up the Liberal Arts building to hit the coke machines for some Sprite. We sat and rested under a large oak tree where we refreshed ourselves with the cool taste of lemon/lime. While sitting there, Skeeter and I watched the cars in the distance while Scooter tested the effects of Sprite on ants. (They thrived!). After an hour of wonderful relaxation we returned back to the house. Mom and Squealer were now awake and I enjoyed hearing the girls excitedly relate their adventures.
A Good Friday indeed.
1 comment:
I was thinking that if you had a bike like this (www.bikeforest.com/homebuild13.php) you could keep a better eye on all the kiddos. Plus I think it would be fun to watch.
Post a Comment