Tuesday, April 01, 2008

How I Spent My Spring Break

I spent it in bed and on the couch with a flu-like virus. Because fair reader, I don’t have the time, nor you the patience, for in depth reviews of the culture I’ve consumed over the last two weeks, I thought I’d share with you a brief summary and one thing I liked or disliked about each movie/book/TV show. Adding much richness to our movie watching experiences was the fact that DIRECT-TV offered free HBO/Cinemax for the weekend.

When one is both sick and tired of chicken noodle soup with saltines, what else is there to do but read, watch, and pray? Here’s how we spent some of our time…

Without further ado…

Two Books:
On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness I already reviewed it here.

The Professor and the Madman: A Tale of Murder, Insanity, and the Making of the Oxford English Dictionary -- written by the author of Krakatoa. He’s not really a historian, but Simon Winchester can spin a yarn. Just read the three page preface to the book and then decide not to read the rest. C’mon, I dare you. One of the interesting things about the book is it gives the history of the production of the Oxford English Dictionary, a mammoth undertaking that benefits us all even today.

Movies

Little Women (1994) This film was a hidden gem. I’d missed its theatrical release, but the cast overflows with fine actors from Winona Ryder, Kirsten Dunst, Claire Danes, and Susan Surandon to Christian Bale. A gripping story with much laughter and crying as we watched this one a couple of times (well, I watched it once. Kadie and the girls a few times). Kadie got this for Scooter’s Easter Basket.

Stuart Little A gift(?) for Squealer, I watched it for about 5 minutes before I could stand no more. I recall the book fondly as I read the masterpiece about childhood alienation.
Two things jumped out at me about the film: M. Night Shymalan wrote the thing and Hugh Laurie stars in it. But this film is a CGI mess. Almost the worst of the films we saw. Almost. Which brings us to…

The Adventures of Shark Boy and Lava Girl – Just a CGI disaster. Painful to watch and even more painful to try to discern a plot. Any goodwill built up for Robert Rodriguez in the great, I mean GREAT, family films of Spy Kids 1 and 2 is flushed away in this fluorescent colored dreck.

Raiders of the Lost Ark: The girls saw it for the first time, only on the condition that they close their eyes when Jones tells Marion to do so during the death angel scene at the end. They absolutely loved it. I cannot tell you how gratifying it is to hear them burst out laughing when Indy shoots the swordsman after he performs a variety of impressive sword maneuvers.

Flicka – A girl and her horse movie. Perfectly acceptable. Better than expected Tim McGraw performance. Maybe Skeeter’s favorite movie.

Superman Returns – I had pretty low expectations for this one, but they’ve been exceeded. I loved the opening credits, which were identical to the 1978 credits. The actor has his Christopher Reeve impression working well, particularly his Clark Kent nebbishness. Kevin Spacey does his best to chew the scenery, but can’t get me to forget Gene Hackman. And I miss Ned Bettey’s unctuousness “Mistah Luthoh”. One marked improvement is Kate Bosworth over Margot Kidder as Lois Lane. Even as a nine year old, I recall thinking how the movie might have improved had the Lois Lane-Superman flight over Manhattan ended somewhat less romantically and more “tragically”.

(And speaking of rebooted franchises, how did I miss this?! Must not get hopes up…)


Hot Fuzz – Clearly the Belle of the Ball among these films. I had no expectations other than the fact that Roeper and the other guy liked the film and said it was funny. It is a modern British film and is therefore profanity laced and has a few cheesy slasher moments….but my-o-my I laughed at this tale of a tough London cop who ends up in a small town that sounds a lot like Lone Oak. But for a different view, see a recent post at Mr Ginger’s pad. Yhaarp.

The Miracle Maker – A required Easter viewing around our house. Still in my mind the best visual depiction of the life of Christ, bar none. And it’s Claymation!!!!!

The Blues Brothers – I hadn’t watched this in years and I didn’t watch all of it again either. Simply not that funny.

Idiocracy – Very disappointing film from Mike Judge of Office Space fame. The film posits an entertaining (and easily defensible) premise that our society is getting more and more stupid each passing generation. But it depicts this in an idiotic way. I could stand about 15 minutes of it.

Radio Days – I hadn’t seen this Woody Allen treasure in a decade, but it has that right combination of charm and whimsy that makes it delightful. It’s a grow up version of A Christmas Story as Allen waxes nostalgic on the role that the medium of radio played in New York life in the 1930’s and 40’s.

The Dark Crystal “That is one weird puppet movie” was Scooter’s comment after it was over. (This comment has now, in my mind, become one of the greatest lines in our family’s lore.) I’d forgotten a lot of it, but I agree with her sentiments. Kadie picked this DVD out for Skeeter’s Easter basket. Not sure that Jim Henson was smoking when he contrived this plot.


TV Series
John Adams (3 volumes) – A great show on HBO, with high production values. The book on which this is based (McCullough’s John Adams) is one of the best biographies I’ve ever read. So I had high expectations and they were met. The high point of this series for me is that it accurately depicts the close love affair that John and his wife Abigail sustained for years often over great distances. Their personal letters may be the greatest romance literature in American history, simply a joy to read.


House (about 6 episodes) -- For another post

1 comment:

bobby said...

What a spring break. Everyone should get the flu if only to get to watch this much tv!

Prof and Madman: truly fascinating.
Shark Boy/Lava Girl: disagree. Fun!
Raiders: will never get old.
Superman Returns: boooring.
Hot Fuzz: awesome!
Blues Brothers: slow but great!
Radio Days: quiet genius.
Dark Crystal: yeah, kinda creepy.
House: the prince is a thickie!
John Adams: what's with all the canted angles? Is this a horror movie?