Flash fiction (not to be confused with Flash Gordon) is a literary artiface, somewhat similar to a haiku. Except different. What it shares with haiku, I suppose, is that it it places extreme limitations on the writer and forces writing into (hopefully) creative directions. Our assignment was to write a work of fiction in less than 100 words. Here's what I came up with...
Mary looked up from the newspaper. “Jack, what do you know. Do you remember that high school guidance counselor, the one that said little Jimmy wasn’t ‘college material’?”
“Ummm-hmmmm” replied Jack as he carefully poured out the honey on his biscuits. With a satisfied turn of the wrist, he managed both to stop the flow of honey out of the jar and twist the lid back into place at the same time.
“She uhhh…she died. Last night in a car accident she was killed on Buncombe road.”
Jack was silent for a moment. “Well….she wasn’t very good at her job.”
“Ummm-hmmmm” replied Jack as he carefully poured out the honey on his biscuits. With a satisfied turn of the wrist, he managed both to stop the flow of honey out of the jar and twist the lid back into place at the same time.
“She uhhh…she died. Last night in a car accident she was killed on Buncombe road.”
Jack was silent for a moment. “Well….she wasn’t very good at her job.”
That's the best I could come up with in a first draft.
7 comments:
Bravo! Some of fiction's finest fodder is autobiography...keep that up! Bartolo
If this blog entry were a movie poster, I'd edit your comment to read "...fiction's finest..."
At last...something for which I could craft a brilliant book report.
Dave,
A very nice line!!
Shyamalan-like, emotionally. Or perhaps cold, in a Seinfeldian way?
I was always a little concerned that "Jack" made such a cold statement re: the counselor's demise. However, such is a father's love for his son...doesn't apparently leave much room for compassion for others mistakes!
Anon,
The great iorony of course is that Jack is the nicest, most gentle man I've ever known. I'm still amazed that he said this...
Post a Comment