Mary looked up from the newspaper. “Jack, what do you know. Do you remember that high school guidance counselor, the one that said little Jimmy wasn’t ‘college material’?”
“Ummm-hmmmm” replied Jack as he carefully poured out the molasses on his biscuits. With a satisfied turn of the wrist, he managed both to stop the flow out of the jar and twist the lid back into place at the same time.
“She uhhh…she died. Last night in a car accident she was killed on Buncombe road.”
Jack was silent for a moment. “Well….she wasn’t very good at her job.”
The group consists of about eight undergrads and a new faculty member, an English prof. Since I was one of the first to read, folks were nice. Lest I rip them in return. The students and my caolleague each said positive things.
One of the students said "I really like the foreshadowing." I thought to myself "How can you have foreshadowing in a 100 word piece of fiction?!" She continued "I should've anticipated the death of the counselor by the way you mentioned the molasses being cut off."
Oh.
No wonder I wasn't an English major.
1 comment:
There is a troubling political posture in the use of mollases instead of syrup or honey. You have much to account for in your knee-jerk screed.
Post a Comment