Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Life Happens...

Sorry for the lack of posting lately. Several things going on around here:

* Last Saturday night we had 7 (SEVEN!!!!!) girls between the ages of eight and twelve here in the house. Skeeter was celebrating her birthday and had three friends over while Scooter asked if she could have a friend or two over as well. We found a friend’s house to stash Squealer and his absence allowed the girls to roam free. We put them all to bed around twelve and Kadie woke up at 4 am to find the four younger girls (the 8 and 9 year olds) playing dress up. (One tyke, dressed as Wonder Woman, screamed in terror as an enraged Kadie flung open their door.)

* I’ve been trying to gather information about the last Pastor Search Committee at Lakeshore so I’ll have some idea of the church’s expectations. We should adopt a covenant tonight that I’ll post in the next week or so.

*Financial Peace University has begun and has exploded in popularity. I expected to have about seven or eight family units (a cumbersome term used to include singles) take the class but we have closer to twenty. So I’ve been having to track down additional materials for the class. Forty people out of an active membership of two hundred taking the class is impressive!

*I’ve been negotiating with Squealer’s guidance 7th grade counselor to rearrange her class schedule. She was stuck in choir but wants computer science and/or art. Unfortunately, I am vying for the counselor's attention with about 76,598 other parents.

*We’ve had some changes in our college that affect another department, but not mine. Despite this fact, I have some strong concerns about that department’s direction. I had to have a conversation with our Dean that outlined my concerns despite the fact that, at the end of the day, it is none of my business. I gave him unsolicited advice about what (I think) he should do and was concerned about how he would receive it.

*I received notice from the mother ship (the main branch of our university campus) that selected personnel files had been "compromised" at the main campus. Included in these files were faculty employed at my institution in the 2000-2001 academic year. That would be the year I started teaching, and mine were among those rifled through. Apparently opur main campus fire-wall is more akin to a soggy napkin.

*I’ve been working on another project that I’ll post about on Monday.

Oh yeah, classes start next week…

6 comments:

Ashley said...

Wow! HSM2 followed immediately by a girls' slumber party?!? You need a vacation!

Anonymous said...

I take offense at Scooter's being "stuck" in choir. Maybe that's right where she needs to be....but I, like you with your Dean, am always happy to give brotherly advice about things that are none of my business.

Anonymous said...

OK...who really was Wonder Woman at your house in the early dawn of 4:00 a.m.? Could it be your wife who actually got up? Where was Superdad? ;-)
DD

bobby said...

Now that I know your policy on butting into other people's business, Taran, please look for my list of corrective measures for you in your email in-box later today.

PoMonkey said...

Too bad I don't live closer...I'm an event planner, ya know. You and Kadie could've stashed away at a friend's house with Squealer and I could've partied with the kiddos! Win, Win, Win.

Taran said...

Ashley,

I agree completely!

Bartolo,

You win, she's sticking with choir.

DD,

Some hobbies are too private for even anonymous blogs.

Bobby,

I think you've practiced the same policy for years.

PoMonkey,

The girls would've had a MUCH better time if you'd planned the event. You probably would've PUT 4 am dress up on the schedule!!!