Friday, November 17, 2006

The Service (II)

“I am not absolutely certain that God called me to leave Susan Song” began Brother Jones. I was shocked to hear this, but no one else had much of a reaction. He continued “…but looking back on it, I am sure that it was the best for me and for the church.” The text of his sermon was Acts 21 when Paul is saying goodbye to his friends shortly before his arrest. His message was very conversational and Brother Jones mentioned several people by name. Many tears were shed.

He talked about the (much needed) new siding they had put on the church, and about the bright sign that the church placed in the front (a sign that generates much pride in the church and community). These events marked the physical evidences from his ministry. Brother Jones also spent time recounting the emotional and spiritual legacies he leaves behind. He talked a bit about walking through the valley of the shadow with several families who lost loved ones. In short, his message was perfect for the occasion.

He concluded by simply looking at me and saying “Brother Taran, what do I do now?”I had Brother Jones and his wife stand at the front of the sanctuary while the church gathered around them and prayed for them. I then offered a benediction and a blessing on the meal following the service. We then retired to the fellowship hall and feasted on a Susan Song potluck meal. During the meal we were surrounded by posters full of pictures of the weddings, baptisms and visits that he had performed while at Susan Song. In the corner there was a video of a musical the church had performed while he was pastor. So as we dined on potluck brisket and potatoes and mac and cheese, we were surrounded by eight years of ministry. At the end of the afternoon, Rev. Jones thanked me for convincing him to come back. Several church members remarked on how wonderful the day’s events had been.

It was a very, very gratifying day.

5 comments:

Dave Samples said...

Thanks for sharing this story with us Taran. Amazing! I appreciate and admire your willingness to be used of God in such a significant way for your church and for this pastor. Was there ever given a real reason for deciding to leave?

Anonymous said...

Taran,
Have really enjoyed this section of your blog. I only wish that the fellow who followed me had your insight and sensitivity to the spirit. Maybe I will email him a link to your blog! Who gave you the idea of having a service of this nature? I am seriously impressed with what the service accomplished for Susan Song, former pastor and YOU! Blessings on you bro.

DD in the VA

Taran said...

Dave,

Obviously the Lord’s hand was in all of this. If God had not softened the heart of the pastor, he would not have returned to the church. He really didn’t see the need at the time, but told me afterwards that he was glad he came.

I think that he felt burned out and that he no longer had a vision for the church. He thought that they were in a rut and he was unsure how to get them out. He also wrestled with low self esteem and thought that the church could likely do better. I do think, based on subsequent observation, that the church needs to change. Whether Brother Smith was supposed to lead that change, God only knows.

Taran said...

DD,

Thanks for the compliments. As I know you’re aware, a lot of churches have a service where they honor the ending of a pastor’s ministry. Early on in my time there I became aware that neither the church, nor the former pastor had any idea that this is an important ceremony. So I felt that it was important that we do it. Obviously had there been an act of bad faith on behalf of either party (unjust termination on the church's part or moral failing on the pastor’s part) I would have looked for some alternate way to bring about closure.

Basically, the church needed to hear Brother Smith say that he loved them and he needed to hear them say that he had been a good pastor. Both statements were said and both statements are true.

PoMonkey said...

I'm glad to be back in "coffeespoon land" and was moved by your Susan Song story AND very thankful that I didn't have to live through the cliffhangers! Great job!