Wednesday, January 21, 2009

On Vampires and Make Up

Correctly drawing the line is our greatest challenge as a parent. Trying to carefully balance the two extremes of protection and independence is the most difficult task I’ve found. How do I decide what is too dangerous and what is acceptable? Working out the whole business of being as crafty as serpents and as innocent as doves is a pain in the neck. Certainly I pray for wisdom and seek counsel from others. Certainly I look back on my own parents’ child-raising techniques.

But then I wing it. Two examples.


Situation One:

The primary problem of course, is that my daughter Scooter is a lot like me. I grew up loving to read and throughout my childhood read fairly obsessively. Both of my parents (avowed readers themselves) adopted a pretty laissez faire approach and allowed me to read whatever I wanted to read. Kadie and I have been a little more tight reined in our approach, marking certain stories (mostly movies) off limits. But a situation arose a month ago that raised an issue for me.
Scooter told me she wanted to get a new book, the book Twilight. Many of her friends were reading it, a new movie was coming out about it, and it apparently was making quite a splash among the early teen world. I’m not sure why there was some familiarity with it, but I vaguely recalled hearing about it. After some checking around on the internet, I read up on the book.

It’s a fairly typical teen romance book, telling the story of a young girl who moves into a town and desperately wants to fit in to her new high school community. In the course of her arrival she identifies various social cliques and tries to decide the folks with whom she wants to build relationships. Then she meets a guy and they fall in love. The End. Pretty innocuous stuff, except for one problem.

He’s a vampire. Undead. Immortal and unliving.

So at what age should a kid start to read such fare? I had no idea. So, I read the book (a review will follow, at some point) and decided to let her read it. She’s in the middle of it now and we’ll have a conversation about it when she finishes.

Situation Two:

Unconnected (but not really) was the dreaded conversation about make-up. She’s entering the second semester of the eighth grade and high school is now for her more a reality than a distant dream. (It remains a nightmare for me, of course). So she’s gotten serious about wanting to try out make-up. This subject has come up a few times over the last few years and I’ve developed a pretty good line in response. I would always say “You look so beautiful without make-up, why would you want to cover your pretty face up?” But she’s no longer placated by that line and has now pushed me for a timeline. After some negotiation (she wanted to start wearing make-up today, I wanted her to start in her thirties) we decided that she would start this summer, to give her some time to experiment before high school begins.

I’m not too sure my exact motivations in each of these situations, but in each instance, to some degree, I recognized that I was the one with the greater problem. I don't want her to grow up. So each of these situations has challenged me in the area of letting go. I’ve seen the end result of holding on too long and it's not pretty. I have students in my classes at school whose parents never let them go and they end up at one of two unhealthy extremes. Either they go wild with their newfound freedom, or they bring their parents into my office when I advise them and try to speak with them about some of their life goals. It’s quickly apparent that they don’t distinguish themselves from their parents in any meaningful way.

Operating on the principle that we start with the end result in mind, then we have to cut the (insert metaphor of your choice: aprons strings or umbilical cord) at some point if we want to produce healthy, Godly adults.

On these two particular issues, the time is now.

10 comments:

Bowden McElroy said...

My three girls wear very little make-up. I'm convinced it's because their mother wears very little make-up. Certainly peer pressure and paternal dictates play a role, but in the end my guess is they will have the same attitude toward make-up that Kadie has.

Anonymous said...

I am glad that you allowed Scooter to read the Vampire book. I expect that she will see it as fluff...... hopefully not knowing the darker side of Vampire lore. I read Vampire books now just as I read Sci-Fi. Please don't tell me there is a biblical problem with this!?

Make-up...most of the Jr. High girls I work with wear make-up, usually lip gloss and eye works. I think you have been blessed to have such an easy going daughter!

Dave Samples said...

Thank God for boys! My two (16 & 14) have been fairly trauma-free thus far. At least we haven't had any make-up issues yet...

Taran said...

Bowden,

I hope you are correct. May the girls continue to take after their mom in matters of make-up (indeed, in all other matters as well).

Anon,

I'll be posting my thoughts on the book later. While it's not a genre that holds any interest for me, I would advocate moderation, as in all things. You are absolutely right about my state of blessedness. The girls are both incredibly easy going. It is our son that stretches us.

Dave,

Nicely said. I look forward to having this conversation with you again in about four years. We'll compare notes.

Ashley said...

I remember when I was in middle school and wanted to start wearing makeup. I don't remember when I started wearing it, but I do remember my dad telling me that if it looks like I have some on, it's too much. He also told me that he had the right as a parent to tell me to take it off if he thought I had too much on. Needless to say, I kept a light hand on it. I think he only had to tell me to take it off once.

As for the book situation, I'm in a similar boat. What's your opinion of Harry Potter? I have conflicting thoughts on this and have discussed them with friends who are going through the same thing. We're all a little confused on what we should do. I'm looking forward to your review of Twilight since we also discussed that book series.

Taran said...

Ashley,

I haven't read the Potter series, although I've seen several of the movies. Some folks in our church hated the books, others saw little problem with them. Based on what I've heard, I would be in the latter category.

Benjie said...

'Scuse me while I butt in. Ashley, I read the first three of the Harry Potter series and didn't get what all the hoopla was about. As literature I enjoyed the debut novel, but the others seemed to be just "more of the same" (which is probably why I stopped after three).

Reading any kind of fiction can be taken to an unhealthy level when we pretend that it's anything more than the fiction it is.

bobby said...

I don't have kids, but I would imagine I'd have just as hard a time letting them read or watch something I know to be LAME as much as if it were destructive. I mean, what do I do when my kid tells me he loves The Happening?

Taran said...

Bobby,

I'm reminded by your comment of a statement that CS Lewis once made. He said that you should always go back and read the childhood literature you enjoyed so much as a kid. If it holds up well, then it was always great literature. If not, then you were spending your time on trash.

Which still doesn't completely explain why my parents let me watch 3's Company as a kid.

bobby said...

Because John Ritter's genius transcends any argument. Just watch him walk in proudly modeling the leather coat he unknowingly spent the rent money to buy, then you'll know what I mean!