Monday, December 08, 2008

Kilkelly

Sorry for the delay. The end of the semester approaches with the force of an oncoming tide. Making time an even scarcer commodity is my foolish decision to take on a thespian role in this year’s children’s choir Christmas musical. So as is often the case, a lack of blogging is due not to the fact that too little is going on, but rather to the fact that too much is going on.

Longtime readers (both of you) will recall that I’m a sucker for good narrative. One of the better stories I’ve heard in awhile was in a recent song. While listening to the Irish and Celtic podcast a few months ago, I had to slow my run to a walk and listened transfixed to a song called Kilkelly, Ireland. The song was written by Peter Jones, an American who discovered a series of letters that belonged to his great grandfather, an immigrant from Kilkelly, Ireland. His ancestor had left his childhood home of Kilkelly to travel across to the United States. Peter wrote the lines directly from his great grandfather's letters and composed a tune for them.

It is a haunting song, one that reminds the listener of the tremendous sacrifices that emigrants form every generation must undergo. Of course, as Believers, the notion of the immigrant is one of the most common themes in all of Scripture, ranging from Moses’ description of himself as a stranger in a strange land to (a different) Peter’s description of the church as strangers and aliens. It reminds us that our faith has made us landless and looking ahead to the far country, to the one place we can truly call Home.

But it also makes you want to hug your family a little tighter at Christmas.

Here’s the requisite Youtube embed of the song. I suggest you minimize the video and just listen to the music. The song is grand and tender. The video is neither.

7 comments:

From the Middle East said...

Haunting is an excellent word. Reminds me of the pain I can hear in my mother's voice when we are overseas.

Peace to you brother,
From the Middle East

Dave Samples said...

Taran, I'm not sure that I'm emotionally strong enough to hear songs like that...wow! Thanks for sharing.

Dave Samples said...

I just learned something...did you know that you can click on the "blogger" icon by a comment and it will minimize? Duh...you knew that didn't you?

Taran said...

FTME,

I hadn't considered it from the perspective of a missionary. Thanks for the insight. (Oddly, I hear the pain in my mother's voice when we stop by for a visit.)

Dave,

I'm glad you enjoyed (if that's the right word) the song. Thanks for the Blogger tip. Now I finally know what to do with your comments.

By the way, I think 'pensees' is the French word for "pretentious."

bobby said...

It borders on cliche to say, but by the end of this song, you know these people, and when you're about to hear of the father's passing, you cringe, because you don't want him to be gone. This song is amazing.

Anonymous said...

May I offer a beautifully performed live version of this song posted on youtube... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7S_rw8pbHE&feature=channel_page

Taran said...

Thanks Anon. What an outstanding live version.