Monday, February 11, 2008

Random Drivel (II)

Random Drivel

Scooter had a test with over fifty questions on the anatomy of an earthworm. She made a 92, God bless her. But why do they spend so much time on it?

Squealer has picked up a new word and I must say I’m proud. He savors it, grinning right before he deploys it in a conversation. The word is “miscreant.” I think he picked it up from one of the Ice Age movies. It is one of the few critical words I allow him to use against others, because usually they have no idea what he’s talking about.

Skeeter has signed up for additional studying for her state mandated exams. (Curse them). In addition to her normal school work, she then studies specifically for this test from 3:00 to 5:00. Strangely, she’s enjoying it.

Scooter is now taller than some of the ladies in our (adult) Sunday school class. I keep wondering where this young woman has appeared from???

I preached a sermon a few Sunday nights ago in church. It was called “The Proper Care and Feeding of Your New Pastor.” I enjoyed it because it is precisely the kind of sermon a pastor cannot preach about themselves. (I shared with them a pastoral pet peeve. When your kid is selling candy or discount cards from school, don’t let them hit up the pastor. It puts the pastor in a position of either telling your kid no (and looking like a jerk) or saying yes and having every other kid come up to them as well.)

Our trampoline has been very enjoyable lately. Each day, we’ll spend thirty or forty minutes as a family jumping on it at the same time. The kids are spry and fearless. Squealer weighs around thirty-five pounds and, like a flea, can jump 70 times his own height. Scooter and I are competing to see who can be the first to turn a complete flip and stick the landing.

Kadie continues to amaze me. She’s about as non-confrontational as they come, but she’s been on Lakewood’s personnel committee dealing with a very difficult situation. She volunteered to accompany the committee chairman to confront the recalcitrant staff member. They did and it has been a positive experience for the church.

We are almost to the point of buying three gallons of milk every time we hit the store. We drink a gallon a day. The two girls drink the most, but at $5.00 a gallon, it is getting expensive. I am looking into the price of a good, mid-sized cow.

1 comment:

bobby said...

Congrats on miscreant. I know you well enough to say your pride is true.

I'm still sore from the trampolining I got at your house over a month a go.