
BH had a great comment on my last post, so I wanted to repost it here:
"I don't know, Taran. I've read your multiple-entry treatise and found it fascinating. But your final push for striking the word altogether seems a little extreme. I think people using a word ignorantly but honestly and with the same intensity of worship as they use other (correct) words does God no ill service. He sees our hearts, and he can see we are honoring Him. To call for a ban on the word is to tempt a rift. I say the following advisedly, and with no malice: Sometimes our education can come between us and a meaningful experience with our greatest loves."
Thank you for reading the posts. My fear in blogging, as in F2F conversations, is that at best, I often communicate only narcolepsy. I am pleased that you shrugged off the effects of extended exposure to my writing style.
My concern in even raising the misuse of Jehovah is that it is a bit pedantic for this lite little blog and even the risk that it seems condescending. To advocate education cuts a bit against the grain of evangelical thinking. Part of this comes from our Protestant forefathers. Luther said that reason was a whore that will serve any master. Of course, as one of my profs once said…Luther turned around and slept with her. Luther (for whom I literally thank God) was a skilled polemicist, who often powerfully utilized reason, but I disagree with him on this point.
Reason is fallible and flawed, as are everything else in this fallen world. But the alternative is obscurantism. While there are many problems with the development of biblical studies over the last 300 years, I believe that it has greatly increased our understanding of the biblical world and the biblical text. If impassioned ignorance is equal to piety, then cheeziness and empty words will overtake our churches and our pulpits. Indeed I fear they already are gaining ground.
Let me put it another way: Do you believe in unicorns?
How is this tangential and rather silly question revevant? Did you know that the interpreters of the KJV in 1611 not only believed in them but translated unicorns into the biblical text? I own a facsimile of the 1611 and this webpage is correct.
Why do the modern translations not mention unicorns? What could cause them to break the traditional rendering of this word?
Simply because subsequent linguistic study demonstrated that the English understanding of the Hebrew was incorrect. Should unicorns be kept out of their rightful place in worship merely because of our "education"? ;)
Yes they should. So should the term Jehovah.
Your final sentence is important and I will respond to it in my next post. Thank you for the conversation.
11 comments:
I would not leave a church over the issue, so I agree with you that it is in the area of nonessentials of the faith. (That point is obvious).
Where I disagree with you is to shrug it off as irrelevent. But I've been over that. Interchanging the names of deities strikes me as a little too universalistic for my leanings.
Your gut doesn't really respond to any of my points, so I'm not sure what more I can add.
I would say that the image of a future civilization, gathered round a giant sized Blirm fills me with delight.
I suggest that everyone join a Presbyterian church (USA) where we don't use any of those archaic names...mostly just God and Jesus....
All Hail Booby!
FluidIce
I wish I had more time to write on this, but let me briefly say I’m with Taran on this one. I see bobby’s point about "using a word ignorantly but honestly," and would agree that God’s grace would cover such. However, what can we say when we are no longer ignorant? It seems to me that we (evangelicals) too often let things like this slide. How else could we have ended up ignorant and uncritical followers?
I have an 8.5month pregnant wife... and I daily (privately) think of the “you seem to be acquiring a gravitational field” line from Taran’s post awhile back. I’ve been a Taran fan ever sense. My colossal blunder occurred 2 nights ago, when trying to encourage her to slow down... to stop trying to keep her schedule + take care of the 2.97 kids... I uttered “It’s like caring for your kids and family aren’t a priority”. Oh boy. I thought she was tired, but she seemed to instantly be ‘inspired’ by my words. I never knew UPN played Drew Carey (white) reruns at 1:30 in the morning.
FluidIce
Anonymous,
Not only do you avoid Jehovah heresy, but you get to drink port! Maybe the Presbyterians ARE the way to go.
Bobby,
As your former roommate, you should've been worried about your eternal soul LONG before you made that initial post.
MisterGinger,
You are most obviously a brilliant, insightful thinker. Do you forgive me for secretly wishing for things to go wrong in your life so that I can read about them at www.ventmy.blogspot.com ?
Fluidice,
Well met fellow pregnant wife survivor! Very nicely done. I commend you for your poorly worded exhortation to your fecund bride. I too grew quite acquainted with my couch in months 5-9.
I also learned, in the final few weeks of pregnancy to avoid the following words and phrases "around" your wife: spherical, whaleish, "swelled up" and "like a grapefruit through a straw."
Being the paterfamilias that you are, I suspect you could add to that list.
Thanks for your comment!
I'm surprised no one said anything sooner, but, do any of you find yourself strangely entranced by the "unicorn" in the photo above? I'm not sure if it's the surreal horn or the unusual pose of impending movement that draws my gaze, but that is a powerful unicorn indeed...
The costume indeed is hypnotic. While I seached for an appropriate picture for this post, I looked past hundreds of unicorn pictures that looked like they would appear on my daughter's bedroom walls.
I picked this particular one in part because it looks so sad. I don't think this was the modeling gig she was expecting when she answered the job ad.
Post a Comment